Pitching Gear and Safety

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
Well, I finally took a liner off my body that left a mark. I pitch and I have had a few close calls off the ankles or foot, but nothing like this. It happened last Saturday at our end of season softball tournament in the championship game. The guy that hit it is notorious for towering home run shots. I have never seen him do anything but hit a deep pull shot to left. This time it came right back at me. I almost got my glove on it, but just didn't have time. The first picture is 1 day after. 2nd picture is 2 days after. 3rd picture is 3 days after. 4th and 5th pictures are 4 days later. We use 52 300 balls, I'm not sure what bat he used, not sure that it matters. I think I'm glad that we aren't still using 44 375 balls like we were last year. By the way, we did win the championship, so that helps out with the whole thing. It's not very painful, I'm just worried about clotting and calcium deposits. Hopefully it just subsides like a normal bruise. If anyone has any suggestions for a good compression short with pads, I'm definitely willing to hear them. Not sure how much they would have helped in this case though.

Wow!!!
I've gotten hit there before and gotten bruises but never anything that spread like that over a few days. Thank God it was your thigh and not your face. That is really the best place to get hit. I've had ones where you can see the stitches in the bruise. Feel better

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Screw stitches...you can see the whole freakin ball!!! Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!:biggthumpup:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel you bro.

P2240188.jpg

There are some football compression shorts with the built in thigh pads. They might be too high up for where you got hit though.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
Pitchers mask/helmet

I ended up being the pitcher for third session of league. I don have the best reaction time and had eight balls put up the middle last night...time for a mask, and if I was smart some shin guards. Anyway, I tried on a helmet today and figured I would checkout the board first. Before you say to use the search function, I have read through a thread on it. After looking at a legit mask and a few others, I liked the looks of a fast pitch catcher's mask, and the feel of a men's fast pitcher softball batting helmet. Has anyone tried either of those options? The batting helmet was a great fit and I didn't feel any need for a chin strap. I can see why you might want one on the worth mask though. The Worth mask, and the fast pitch catcher's mask both offer much better throat protection. Just figured I would ask. Thanks fellas.

lx_2nv

Coach
I have liked my worth helmet thus far. seems pretty light to me and easy to rip off - but I dont use the chin strap. I saw a guy using a batting helmet with mask this weekend....looked bulky but got the job done.

hollywood9826

The Veteran
I really like my face off.

But others go with the full helmet to protect the entire head. If i did that I would look at a lacrosse helmet before a catchers mask. Lacrosse helmets seem to be lighter is the only reason.

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
Both styles look like they'd do the job, altho IMO the batters helmet looks kinda bulky. Get whatever is comfortable for you and gives you the best field of view. It's good that you realize NOW that you need a helmet instead of later.

I use the Worth and have been really happy with it.

I know you said you had already read thru another thread on the subject, but if you haven't read thru the thread b#7 linked you really should. TONS of great info on helmets in there, and everything else we use, and the reasons for them.

Good luck out there, be safe, and welcome to the club.

skottie

Starting Player
I bought one of the clear GameFace masks and I havent had any problems with it. Only used it once or twice so far, but I have good reaction times and use a mouthpiece as well. Ive never used the Worth mask, but have seen it used and a ball strike it... You will appreciate the throat protection after the shot I witnessed.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Rip it fielders mask is the best combination of lightweight, clear visibility, & easy removal in my opinion. While it does not provide protection for your throat or the top of your head it will thoroughly protect your face, nose, mouth, eyes. I think it is much easier to pitch & field with this type of mask vs a full helmet & should do the trick in any E league or coed. Now if you are playing senior ball with senior and/or outlawed bats go with a full helmet.

Throw in some Fox Launch shin/knee guards & you are GTG

skottie

Starting Player
broomball shin guards (no links to competitors please)

My buddy who umps with me told me about these.

Last edited by a moderator:

russmcd

Addicted to Softballfans
I use the ProTec D-Gels from the site above and love them. Very light and saved me from a broken shin earlier this year.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought another Catcher's style helmet. I will keep my Face Off for when it's really hot out, but I prefer the catcher's style to the lacrosse and mask style.

More throat coverage.
More secure fit.
No need for a chin strap.

I did think about going old school catcher and getting the cap helmet and a mask, but couldn't find an economic option for that. Thought it might not be a bad idea to wear the cap while batting.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Anyone use eye black to help when the sun's in your face? Sunglasses don't fit in the Worth helmet while my block head is in there. I've always thought the eye black was for "that guy" cool look but several dudes were telling me it really does help.

Muscles220, FWIW, gearing up sucks. I don't field remotely as well with a helmet & actually feel much more vulnerable with it on but I always were a cup & add the shin guards too since I have the toughest time with low shots. But after playing in a tourney this last weekend with 44/375 Thunder Heats & any 1.2 bats allowed, I'm gearing up regardless. If you're in a tourney or playing where middle become the surest way to get a hit, it's just not worth the chance for a mistake or lapse in reaction. It's not hard to catch a hot liner back at you if you're ready after release, it's hard to get ready/stay focused after every release.

blakcherry329

I tried eye-black, back in the day. Never saw any benefit, other than the obvious "Coolness" factor. lol Never used it again.

I can wear sunglasses under my lacrosse helmet, as long as the arms of the glasses aren't overly thick.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see plenty of 3rd basemen wearing them, and my 1st baseman down in GA did as well.

Thomas94587

Addicted to Softballfans
i wear rip it mask at 3B...but i want combat's Face Off something like that.

Ever since, i switched from 3B to 2B/Pitcher

THESHOE

Starting Player
If I played up a level or two, I think I would as well. Some of those guys hit stuff so hard that you have no reaction time on bounces... And the 52's take so whack hops man.

Does anyone wear a mask on 1st or 3rd. Im really considering it.

tsfingrocks

Average, at best
Does anyone wear a mask on 1st or 3rd. Im really considering it.

I've seen all infielders wear a mask. 1, 2, 3, SS, Middle. Just whatever makes you feel comfortable. Mostly I see the rip it masks but I have seen a Combat FaceOff here and there. A kid in SoDak wears a baseball batting helmet with a mask. I knew he got clunked once so it's for safety but dude is legit. Plays B with Tryon or Ts13 once in a while.