Things that drive you crazy

jhitman

I have a new one that just came to my attention. You are ready for Opening Day tomorrow and have been looking forward to getting started. You are all psyched up to play and you get an e-mail from the LD that the games have been cancelled due to ongoing umpire negotiations. They are hoping to have it resolved by next week's games. Question, why wasn't this taken care of in the off season????????

Joker

sounds like they were working it in the off season and they are still ongoing. that's what that word means

jhitman

sounds like they were working it in the off season and they are still ongoing. that's what that word means

I would think they had plenty of time to get it ironed out. Coed and Men's slowpitch softball here is a pretty big money maker for the county. This has never happened before and I am surprised they let it go on to mess up the start of the season. There are other leagues (not many) that people may opt towards going forward since those leagues have started on time with no issues.

jhitman

unless you know the details of the negotiations, you don't know how long it would take

True, we were told they are hoping to play next week's games. I have e-mailed the LD to find out if she will disclose what the issues are. I know her pretty well so I'm hoping she will let me know. I can't imagine it being anything but money.

MaverickAH

True, we were told they are hoping to play next week's games. I have e-mailed the LD to find out if she will disclose what the issues are. I know her pretty well so I'm hoping she will let me know. I can't imagine it being anything but money.

It most likely is about money..........

Umpiring groups are independent contractors who negotiate their fee structure with individual leagues. Either your LD has been in a long, unresolved negotiation regarding the fee for umpires from whatever group (they obviously want a raise) or they sprung this on her at the last minute. My bet is the latter as it doesn't sound like she's had time to take competing bids from other umpiring groups.

If she had time to search out competing umpiring groups & didn't do so, maybe it's time for a new LD!

jhitman

Here is the explanation that I received. It wasn't about money after all. I don't think it's the LD's fault as the ASA and NSA Umpires seem to not have their Shi@ together.

Jim,

We had ASA on board to cover Senior, and Media League, then on Mon they came to us after having the schedule for a week that they couldn’t cover the games.

Then we only found out Mon that the NSA Umpires Group didn’t have a contract, that they sent in the wrong info, and all week we have been working with them to get there stuff together and sent in, we are hoping it will only effect this week.

Dan240

Addicted to Softballfans
Having your league cancel less than a week before games start, jumping thru hoops to find another to join only to find out half your guys can't make it due to the later game times.

JN137

Having an unreliable team. 2 weeks ago we have 13 guys show up (one of whom I don't think is even on the roster) and last week we get 7...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I umpire, and I'm not an independent contractor. I'm an employee of the parks/rec district. Independent contracting for umps is stupid, and you run into problems like that.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Also, the overly confrontational player that seems to be at every tournament or league game these days

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The base coach or bench player who never plays, but is the first one out on the field talking crap or being confrontational whenever anything goes down. They're always the loudest, most obnoxious people on the field.

mnballer

Addicted to Softballfans
The base coach or bench player who never plays, but is the first one out on the field talking crap or being confrontational whenever anything goes down. They're always the loudest, most obnoxious people on the field.

*CATCHERS

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
My own teammates showing up 3 minutes before the game with their glove and their shoes over their shoulder.............Then can't throw, catch or hit because they haven't warmed up. :(

bbaum17

Starting Player
Having a guy hit one off the fence but get called out for walking back to the dugout cause he thought it was a home run. And even better, when the umpire doesn't call him out, he only gets a single.

JN137

A buddy of mine that I play with feels the need to warm up by immediately throwing as hard as he can from about 30 feet away. Not to mention all of the neon green leafs in the background on the trees at the fields we play on make the yellow ball oh-so easy to see