Too old for outfield?

getsideways

Addicted to Softballfans
Legs in shape first. No weight lifting, just biking/stairs/light weight squats/swimming.
Even running and jogging can be harder on joints then its worth.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
^^^this is good but a little misleading. Start slow, walking, jogging, biking, running. Light leg work outs, learn/practice proper form when it comes to squats. Water exercises do not translate to land exercises so while swimming is great exercise and great fun, it will not help your performance on the softball field.

getsideways

Addicted to Softballfans
Swimming is one of the best ways to get an entire body into shape with minimal stress of joints. The goal of the OP was to get rid of stiffness, aches and pain, Does that relate to swimming LOL.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
^^^agreed...just didn't want him to go out, swim a bunch of miles, reduce aches and pains, and see little to no performance benefit. Stairs are probably not the best advice either, I only commented on the swimming as someone else had mentioned it. I do agree with your main point though.

speed killz

Addicted to Softballfans
Stretching does not work before exercise rather do as a previous poster suggested, warm up. Start foam rolling. The biggest down side of starting an exercise regime is that you will soon discover that softball, while enjoyable doesn't really qualify as excerises.

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
I'm learning that I have been putting too much effort into my recovery regimen than my training. Lol

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Stretching does not work before exercise rather do as a previous poster suggested, warm up. Start foam rolling. The biggest down side of starting an exercise regime is that you will soon discover that softball, while enjoyable doesn't really qualify as excerises.

Dynamic stretching before exercise, static stretching after exercise (believe that only really applies for performance). Softball doesn't really count as "exercise" but it definitely doesn't hurt to loosen up pre-game.

Recovery is the best part of a training program!!!

Last edited:
Agility exercises are your best friend. Even if you just ran you would still be sore because softball contains more than just running in a straight line. As someone else mentioned working out your legs will help and the foam roller is a god send. Get one and YouTube exercises where you hurt. It will hurt like a mutha but when you get finished you will be in heaven, kinda like a Thai massage.

Jodie Breeze

The Veteran
I carry a jumprope in my batbag. Jump rope for a few minutes and then stretch good. Jump rope for a few more minutes at a more intense pace. Maybe add a few sprints and a few laps around the field. Do your pregame throwing and fielding regiment and then you're ready to play.

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
Check to see if you're running on your toes....see quite a few that run more on their heels - hard on the legs and feet.....jars you bone structure

robsgt

Addicted to Softballfans
All great advice so far. I was in the same boat as you. I've always worn interchangeable cleats & would just keep changing the cleat inserts out & calling it good. I would get excruciating pain in my legs to where I could hardly walk the next day & take a whole week to fully recover. Mainly from shin splints. After I would wear the cleats for about a year(we play year round, I was playing 3 nights) what I realized was yeah the cleats were doing their job as far as traction but they would just totally breakdown as far as support. Now I replace my cleats after about every 6 mths or now I can just about feel when they are starting to break down & just get a new pair. I also use supports but I just use a heel support & it made a world of difference. I think its dr scholls brand. ps I also think you need to do some kind of working out also lol

Jammer

Coach
Same boat here man. 37 and feeling it. I'm in good shape and always stay active. My plan is to do yoga and work the legs hard this winter along with foam rolling, ice baths, and cardio. That just my plan to overcome the same situation man. Good luck.

I go as hard as I can on every pitch, just gotta put in the offseason training and maintain during the summer.

Now, I just need to figure out how to make my shoulder last more than a dozen hard throws haha.

DEJ13

Addicted to Softballfans
Get on a workout program. Anything will help just playing softball will not get u in shape

lineshot

Banned User
Raul Ibáñez is 41 in mlb and he's playing the best he's ever played. Actually the last 4-5 yrs he's been improving

lineshot

Banned User
Raul Ibáñez is 41 in mlb and he's playing the best he's ever played. Actually the last 4-5 yrs he's been improving

Chimpy

Star Player
I'm older than you, I play everything including a lot of outfield and although I'm no speedster, I do pretty well. I exercise regularly outside softball. I'm not saying you should run everyday like I do, but simple daily exercises and stretches will make a huge difference, even ten minutes a day. You're only 37.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
... I've always worn interchangeable cleats & would just keep changing the cleat inserts out & calling it good. I would get excruciating pain in my legs to where I could hardly walk the next day & take a whole week to fully recover. Mainly from shin splints. After I would wear the cleats for about a year(we play year round, I was playing 3 nights) what I realized was yeah the cleats were doing their job as far as traction but they would just totally breakdown as far as support. Now I replace my cleats after about every 6 mths or now I can just about feel when they are starting to break down & just get a new pair. ...

I switched over to turf shoes and it makes a world of difference. I had a good pair of removable spike cleats but my feet would always hurt after games and the spikes would wear down after several games. I use Mizuno 9 spike blast mid tops and they work & feel great.

I'm older than you, I play everything including a lot of outfield and although I'm no speedster, I do pretty well. I exercise regularly outside softball. I'm not saying you should run everyday like I do, but simple daily exercises and stretches will make a huge difference, even ten minutes a day. You're only 37.

Says the guy who hurt himself bowling and was hobbling around the last few games of the season.

66FLH

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm 43 and I still play league and tournaments on weekends..I lift 2-3 times a week and ride 20-30 miles a week on my mountain bike. I still get up sore as hell after 2-3 games..just part of it I guess. Wearing turf shoes the last couple of years has helped a bunch too..

Amess215

I TURN DBLES 2 SINGLES
Your diet plays a huge part in getting over the soreness and preventing it. Drink lots of water the days before you play, eat healthy, high protein non fatty foods and exercise when you don't play. Oh and drink water regularly

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
Maybe I'm not too old after all. 3 games, back to back to back last night. I did a good warm-up with stretching and a little jogging backward(shin splints), got some great arch support insoles for my shoes, took 3 ibuprofen before the first game, and never sat down until the last game was over. I felt better than I ever have. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

zartan_jk

An Outfielder
I am turning 36 soon and play OF. On nights I am not playing I do work out and I have 2 kids that keep me busy. They love swimming (as do I) and I rarely feel sore. One good point is to keep the muscles working in the off season. Otherwise your first time out on the field might be a little rough!

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Wow.....A youngster complaining about outfield? I'm 46 going on 47 and don't have any of these problems. Then...I don't drink, wach the diet and work out a minimum of 4 times a week. Weird, how that works huh?

Never too old

63, but I do light weights, treadmill, bike, stretching at least 5 days a week. Our teams, of really old guys, warm for 45 to 60 minutes before we play. Lots sprints, deep flys, blah, blah.... But you have to be more in shape as you get older. Kids....

rlopezjr1977

King EUUUUPPPPP
Like the other guys said try and do other things like running and working out. Epsom Salt baths are key especially after a few game come home and take a really hot bath with some Epsom Salt it will keep the muscles from getting too inflamed and help relax them also great for pulls and strains as well.

Chimpy

Star Player
Says the guy who hurt himself bowling and was hobbling around the last few games of the season.

haha. Yeah, it's my sciatic nerve. I'm icing every night and seem to just get okay when I'm playing and have to sprint for some reason and then pull it worse again. Doc says don't do anything for a while but I've got too much going on, however bowling league ended until October so there's that. Thought I was good this past week and then got sent home the other night on a long hit and of course pulled it more. Definitely trying to have others in the field for me the next couple weeks so I'll be good for fall league. Ah, my ass...

Chimpy

Star Player
The original post sounds like a Craigslist ad.

Christ, just kill yourself. Seriously. If you're life is based on going into every post and flinging some lame condescending comment, life clearly isn't for you. Stick to watching westerns and eating the old folks special at Dennys.

Oh, sorry, did I use too many syllables for you again?