Too old for outfield?

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
37, height/weight proportionate, always been pretty athletic. I play league 1 or 2 nights a week. When I get home I can barely walk... Lol... And the next morning after playing(usually back to back games) I can barely get out of bed it feels like. Legs and feet soreness for the most part. My quickness is still pretty decent, I just can't seem to "get in shape" for this no matter how much I play. Am I too old for OF?

I think you need to do more than softball? Mayb a little fitness training outside of playing 2 nights a week...I'm 29 and if all i did was play softball I'd be super sore too. Heck I run 25 miles a week and lift weights but still get sore sometimes from softball nights.

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
I really thought that 3 or 4 days of recoup in between game nights was needed. Maybe I'm just not doing enough I guess.

SYNERGY2

Manager
Try doing some interval training. I think it is the short quick bursts while playing ball that can get people sore. I'm 35 and (attempt) to run around the field like a 13 year old. But I do interval work throughout the year which is quick intense exercises, minute or two rest, and repeat.

I don't have too much of an issue with soreness. There is the one fella on here who is 80 so it can be done!

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
If you can see/read the ball you can still go get it......might try some stretching workouts during the week and put some miles in on a bicycle - or walk up stairs if available to you.....37's still young......up until last year I averaged right at 300 games a year + BP's (2-3 a week) - once you do more the muscle aches aren't too bad but the rest - joints/general body fatigue can wear you down.....I'm an activity guy - it's easier and less boring for me. My wife works out religiously 2 hours every other day. I get bored - I'll do it for about 20 minutes then go back and get another 20 in later in the day when I feel like it then hop on the bike every other day for a few miles....movement related to an activity is just fits me better.

Watch what/when you eat - at one time I'd stop and get about a 6" chocolate chip cookie (and a diet coke - lol) if we won & if I went yard I'd grab another cookie - possibly 2 if I hit more....of course you're still wound up and driving home those choc chips sure tasted good (I don't like to eat before I play) pretty soon I was about 15# overweight.....now it's bananas and maybe a tuna sandwich.....probably wouldn't hurt to drink a lot of water or vitamin water (Energy) before the game and on the way home to help replenish what you've taken away.....

Stretch and jog before games if you don't - when playing I hardly ever sit down I'll stand between innings - somehow this helps me....if/when I sit it's because I'm really bushed but even then I prefer to stand.....maybe soak yourself in a HOT bath when you get home for about 20 minutes......if you drink beer when playing that can rob your body of salt which might contribute to your misery.....

And yep - we could probably get some good info from our senior player (80)...I've watched a guy 70+ put his leg up almost vertically against a wall so he could touch his face to his knee (me - I'd break) so some of those guys have a work ethic that would shame the rest of us and make us look lazy.......there's a reason they keep on keepin' on......

Last edited:

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Yeah, I'd have to agree with the others. You need to be participating in an exercise program outside of softball. Two days to recooperate would be if one was participating in an intense sport for the hour and a half, softball hardly qualifies. That reecooperation time is more important for elite athletes also (does a recreational athlete really need maximum amounts of glycogen and muscle recovery?). I'm 35 and there are times during the year I may be playing 5 nights a week, the only league where I don't play outfield is the FIU intramural league, I catch, let those young college kids run around in the OF!

Hunter4ever89

The Wiley Veteran
Our D league team has an O/F that is 53 years old. Plays tournys and double headers with us. Usually plays right, and some left field. Never says a word about being sore...

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
No such thing as too old, only too slow.

Very, very true! To the OP, Ive never been fast, and I am slower now than I was 6-7 years ago (43 now).. I used to play some OF, but when there are 3 guys that are much faster, then there is no reason for me to be out there. If you can still make plays out there, then stay out there... you will know when you cannot hack it in the outfield anymore..

As for your soreness, the treadmill is a wonderful thing to get in shape. Im probably in better shape than 80% of the players out there, because of the amount of cardio I do. If I did not put in the time in the gym, I would not be playing..

pwilsoftball81

Board Mom
37, height/weight proportionate, always been pretty athletic. I play league 1 or 2 nights a week. When I get home I can barely walk... Lol... And the next morning after playing(usually back to back games) I can barely get out of bed it feels like. Legs and feet soreness for the most part. My quickness is still pretty decent, I just can't seem to "get in shape" for this no matter how much I play. Am I too old for OF?

this started happening to me in my mid-40s. but my eyes/judgment of fly balls in of started giving me problems in early 40s. getting old sucks!!

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I am just about 55 and am having big trouble with my vision, need to go in for new glasses. I usually field much better in the daytime and prefer RF. Play mostly Co Ed so sometimes RF is not an option. I am guilty of no non softball exercise but also notice the more I play the less sore I am. I say play more! :D

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
You say you can't get in shape no matter how much you play, but you also say that you play league 1-2 nights per week. That's not much, and if that's all you're doing, you're not in shape. Do something on the off nights...run around the block 3-4 times, ride a bike for 20 minutes, run up and down stairs, whatever. Just do some cardio, with a focus on legs, and you'll start to feel better after games.

If you really want to jump in with both feet, get a P90x set, or something like that. It'll kick your ass hard for a few weeks, but you'll start to settle in after that. I wouldn't do it during the season though...I did it last year and I could barely play the first two weeks.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Play more........ Invest in BIO FREEZE..... Stretch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do feel your pain though:(

dremersvision

Addicted to Softballfans
I think you need to do more than softball? Mayb a little fitness training outside of playing 2 nights a week...I'm 29 and if all i did was play softball I'd be super sore too. Heck I run 25 miles a week and lift weights but still get sore sometimes from softball nights.

What this fella said.

You might not lose weight but you will get stronger. The things that i do outside of playing softball are

1) swiming (water aerobics)
2) Basketball
3) Weight lifting
4) Mountain biking

-Six-

Weiner
hahaha this guy. plays softball and it kills him, still thinks he is in shape.

Go for a run a few times a week. Use your muscles a little bit. Thanks for the laugh.

HH knows.

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
Thanks fellas. Was hoping there was a pill I could take or something with less effort. Lol j/k. Looks like I'm going to have to start some off-days training.

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
hahaha this guy. plays softball and it kills him, still thinks he is in shape.

Go for a run a few times a week. Use your muscles a little bit. Thanks for the laugh.

HH knows.

I don't remember saying I was in shape? Thanks for the help. Feel free to skip on by and ridicule someone else.

STLCoach

Nobiscum Deus

If you really think you're too old to play the OF.. You should either

A. Start playing IF regularly or
B. Try and do the exercises to be able to stay in the OF.
C. Be a good enough hitter to be a DH.

Cole1996

Part Time Player
I'm 16 and OF, I get sore at the end of the game lol. Even though my only thought in the OF is "DON'T HIT IT TO ME PLEASE!!!!"

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks fellas. Was hoping there was a pill I could take or something with less effort. Lol j/k. Looks like I'm going to have to start some off-days training.

Just a few minutes of stretching each day will go a long way to easing your pain after playing. I'm 52, and play senior ball, where I have to cover the whole freaking outfield due to the "It ain't hit right to me, it ain't my ball" attitude of some of the statues I play with, so I stretch....ALOT! Before and after games, and all during the week.

cendresfishing

Star Player
I've had similar issues. I'm 45, 5'9" 175. I work out faithfully, jog, have great cardio, deadlift 400 pounds, squat 300 and bench 275. So I'm in decent shape. I play outfield, as well, and in recent years I've started getting very very sore after double headers, mostly in my feet and legs. I went to a sports medicine doctor, he told me I have flat feet and it messes everything up in the Achilles tendon and legs as you get older, particularly when you sprint. So I got better shoes, got some arch supports and the doc gave me a 15 minute warm up routine followed by 5 minutes of jogging before each game. My soreness is much better. The warm up routine is incredible. Its the warm up routine from P90x with some other dynamic warm ups like deep knee bends, single leg bench squats and bridges. It takes about 30 minutes in total. It really sucks that all the young guys just jump out of the car and start playing, and I have to get there 30 minutes early just to warm up, but that's life. As we get older, we have to work harder to stay competitive.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer

Yeah, 2 Allieve an hour before the game, a good supply of icy hot patches, and a workin man's special (PBR, Oly or Hamm's with a shot of whiskey) after the game works every time.

JJ

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
What I have lost in speed I make up for in veteran savvy.
If you can study/read hitters you can close the gap of running. I am a pretty good judge of a guys power potential just by his plate approach and will pinch guys often. I have been wrong on occasion, but more often right.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Am I too old for OF?

Probably. In my observation, most people pushing 40 seem to prefer the infield.

Some people's structure breaks down quicker than others. I quit trying to play outfield just after 50 due to my weak lungs but I play on a couple teams with 50+ outfielders that can still run and aren't too beat down.

My constant pain appeared at around 47. It's not usually horrible so you just get used to it.

I only get out a couple night a week for double headers and have a cushy infield gig so I rarely feel any adverse effects the next day. I am one who understands that it is a LOT more physically demanding to play outfield. Hell, sometimes just chasing the foul balls is more running than an infielder will do in the entire game.

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
I've had similar issues. I'm 45, 5'9" 175. I work out faithfully, jog, have great cardio, deadlift 400 pounds, squat 300 and bench 275. So I'm in decent shape. I play outfield, as well, and in recent years I've started getting very very sore after double headers, mostly in my feet and legs. I went to a sports medicine doctor, he told me I have flat feet and it messes everything up in the Achilles tendon and legs as you get older, particularly when you sprint. So I got better shoes, got some arch supports and the doc gave me a 15 minute warm up routine followed by 5 minutes of jogging before each game. My soreness is much better. The warm up routine is incredible. Its the warm up routine from P90x with some other dynamic warm ups like deep knee bends, single leg bench squats and bridges. It takes about 30 minutes in total. It really sucks that all the young guys just jump out of the car and start playing, and I have to get there 30 minutes early just to warm up, but that's life. As we get older, we have to work harder to stay competitive.

This is me! I'm as flat- footed as a penguin. I'm going to look into getting some arch support inserts for my cleats and look into that warm-up routine. Also stretching.... Thanks for all the great tips. I feel like I have several years of it left in me now... Lol

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
What makes it worse is that it's Co-Ed and I play right center. Back and forth all night on a field that's 380 at dead center.

denthepitcher

SF Native
Just a few minutes of stretching each day will go a long way to easing your pain after playing. I'm 52, and play senior ball, where I have to cover the whole freaking outfield due to the "It ain't hit right to me, it ain't my ball" attitude of some of the statues I play with, so I stretch....ALOT! Before and after games, and all during the week.

^^^^^^^
This,

If it's mostly leg/foot pain, are you sure it's not the shoes you're wearing?

^^^^^^^^^
And this.

I'm 53 and on game days I will start stretching and loosening up several hours (a little bit at a time )before game time.
Another trick is to take a hot shower if possible BEFORE your game.