Do you use heavy/warm up ball

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Close to producing the new Evil Heavy weight ball, wondering how many use them and which kind?
what would you want to see in a heavy ball?

bird25

34/30 Club #25
I do not use them but have a few teammates that do. mostly for long toss. A 2 color to easily see spin and a grippy cover would be the 2 things I would want in a heavy ball.

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
I do not use them but have a few teammates that do. mostly for long toss. A 2 color to easily see spin and a grippy cover would be the 2 things I would want in a heavy ball.

I 2nd this, 2 colored one like your BP balls would be cool. I use one just to loosen up the arm. I have the 16 oz. cannonball one.

PHX5054

Addicted to Softballfans
I use them all the time to warm up and don't feel ready to play unless I do. If I had a wishlist of requirements I would say; Looks and feels like a real softball with synthetic or leather cover, real stitching, 2 different colors to see the spin. That's just me though.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
I use one all the time to stretch the shoulder out before games.
I use the rubber ones now but would like one with a leather feel.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
I have a few times, but just with others. Def something I need to buy and should use more often. Esp in smaller areas where you don't have room to long toss. Would help plenty stretching shoulder back out after surgery.

muskaaron

Manufactured To Hit Bombs
I use a ball that is a dog toy made by kong that i bought for my lab. It was cheap and durable as hell, same weight and just about the same size as a softball.

ar2x7

Substance & Style
use the cannonball and it works wonders, dont care if it's two colors BUT a 16oz ball with a game cover and stitch would be awesome... meh, add an ASA stamp too ;)

Spackler

...got that goin for me
This is easy make it 12". My cannonball is only 11", don't think they make a 12"..... also better for breaking in gloves so pocket is right size. I don't like using right before games like some guys cause feels it messes with aim in infield.

Eroc13

Boots Come In Pairs
This is easy make it 12". My cannonball is only 11", don't think they make a 12".....

THIS! You make a 12" that actually feels somewhat like a softball (2-tone would be sweet as well haha, but that's just for looks), and I will be buying

RAPTOR62

Banned User
use the cannonball to start the warm up, but I wouldn't use it for long toss. it does a number on the shoulder after awhile

agelesseyes

Addicted to Softballfans
Good mechanics

Throwing a football forces me to have good mechanics
Gives me better velocity and distance for my average arm

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
Have the cannonball - find it better for quick warm up with limited tosses between games at tournaments......

Used to use it before the 1st game but found I like it better later in the tourney......

Good for cold temps......

Have used it in winter against a wall like a big super ball at a school near by.....one time it took a big sproing bounce and jumped the back wall - had to chase it down the steep street next to the school so it wouldn't go down the storm drain at the bottom......brought back memories.....In the Philipines I broke a down spout with against a wall in the compound & knocked some stucco/wall cover off....hefty can do damage - pick your walls/surfaces carefully.....

I bought the one I have - yellow because I thought it would show well....after a little dirt it is hard to see in shadows or night....suggest a vibrant color that helps it to be easy to track while keeping the bounce properties. Even If I wash mine with a brush it does not clean up like new.....

Last edited:

HrBump13

Addicted to Softballfans
I like the idea of a 12" w/ leather covered ball. Multi color is not a high intrest item to me, but it would be OK & easier to distinguish in my bag.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I believe 16oz is a bit too heavy and can create issues with some of the shoulder components. We are planning a slightly lighter version.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
This is easy make it 12". My cannonball is only 11", don't think they make a 12"..... also better for breaking in gloves so pocket is right size. I don't like using right before games like some guys cause feels it messes with aim in infield.

yeah it will, but I would usually split time to get used to the real ball before game time.

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
I use the cannonball to warm up from a short distance, then a moderate distance. Never for long toss though. I also threw it over a winter in the garage straight down into the floor (it bounced up to me easily) while I was recovering from a bit of a shoulder issue. Now I throw it in a bp net in my garage. I usually shoot for 100 throws 3 times a week over the winter. During season I only use it to warm up for all games, even on multiple game tourney days. Highly recommend some sort of weighted ball.

midnight89

Bat Huer
I prefer to warm up with one as well. Just short distances when I'm starting to stretch it out and then I prefer to go to the real ball. The transition from the weighted ball to the regular ball is odd for a bit because the real ball feel like a feather hitting your glove.

As for attributes -- I agree that something lighter than 16 oz would be a good call. A leather cover and real stitching would be #1 on my wish list. Don't care much about being two-tone because the seams tells us most of what we need to know.

Yinzer2116

Manager
16oz is too heavy for me to warm up with. I use a 10oz and it just like a normal ball but heavy (leather cover, real stitching)

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont use them but my daughter does for pitching. 10yrs ago I bought a set of 4 12" balls- Green - 9 oz., Blue - 10 oz., Yellow - 11 oz., Black - 12 oz. Since you offer a fastpicth ball I would offer the weighted ball also. Come up with your own 2 color design for the weights. The progression in weight helps as the girls grow. I wish the ones we have had seams like a normal ball. My daughter is 17 and uses the 12oz as a warm up/strength ball. I hate catching that thing. SOB hurts like hell when it hits your glove at 50mph.

I would also offer a 8oz 11" ball. I couldnt find one when my daughter first started pitching and had to make my own.