Things that drive you crazy

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
Yes, the guy in league who hits a HR or two early in the season and then flies out 27 times trying to hit another...... all the while regaling teammates with the sensationalized story of that 1 early season HR.

omg you have just listed the bain of my softball existance. 1st double header of the season, we get the guy who gets a hold of one perfectly, with win blowing out and it eeks over the fence. he spends the rest of the year trying to get that 2nd hr. every flyout though....he knows what he did wrong.

bbaum17

Starting Player
x1000... Has me looking into one of them fancy pitching contraptions that LSX has haha

I've started to look into one of those as well. Maybe he'll finally follow through and make that video on it he's been promising everyone lol

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
There's a black flame for sale locally on CL that I've been eyeballing. I'd get a decent amount of use out of it for my DD too for BP for fastpitch, but waiting on the price to drop a bit

jhitman

Trying to enter a bat review on this web-site and it telling me the password and USERID are not matching. It's the same password and handle that I've had for many years.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The big guy you pick to be designated HR hitter in a GSL tournament. He then proceeds to go 0/4 and ground into a double play. You can tell by looking at his swing that he's lucky to hit 1 HR a tourny.

jhitman

Our 50+ league may make it mandatory for pitchers to wear a batting helmet while pitching starting in the Fall. I understand the concern for safety, but I think it should be up to each individual pitcher whether he wants to wear one or not.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Our 50+ league may make it mandatory for pitchers to wear a batting helmet while pitching starting in the Fall. I understand the concern for safety, but I think it should be up to each individual pitcher whether he wants to wear one or not.

The senior league I umpire mandated that all pitchers must wear masks too. I don't have a problem with it from an umping standpoint. I've seen enough injuries in that league. You have guys who have no bat control hitting hard balls with hot bats.... at guys who have severely diminished reaction time.

Also, this isn't a competitive senior league.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
The fact that people believe a 5-man infield stops a good team

Well, if 5 man infields didn't stop good teams, then good teams wouldn't use it. You put a good team against some team playing 4 man and they're going to abuse the hell out of the middle and make your pitcher uncomfortable in a hurry.

I also agree with teams thinking they have to run a 5 man, but doing it poorly. If your middle infielder doesn't know where to play it can kill you. Or if your outfielders aren't fast enough to cover the extra ground.

Rcleduc

The guys who you have played with for a few years who show up with that crusty flat no pocket glove they had for 10 years, sneakers, t-shirt even though the team does have jerseys, no ball to warm up with, no bat, no sunglasses, not even a small bag and place their keys, wallet, phone and watch on the bench, no water, basically nothing. Then proceeds to want to use/borrow everything you have thought to pack each game.

MaverickAH

The fact that people think outfielders and lead off hitters have to be fast

Got to disagee with you big time on this! There are fewer things more frustrating than watching a lack of speed in the outfield turning outs into base hits or, even worse, gappers. If you think that proper positioning will always make up for a lack of speed, you're just lying to yourself.

On offense, who the hell wants a hitter leading off the game who's going to need 3 hits to get in?

The guys who you have played with for a few years who show up with that crusty flat no pocket glove they had for 10 years, sneakers, t-shirt even though the team does have jerseys, no ball to warm up with, no bat, no sunglasses, not even a small bag and place their keys, wallet, phone and watch on the bench, no water, basically nothing. Then proceeds to want to use/borrow everything you have thought to pack each game.

I don't hate that guy. I envy that guy!!!

When I think of all of the money I would've saved if I was that guy, I quietly cry to myself...........:(

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, if 5 man infields didn't stop good teams, then good teams wouldn't use it. You put a good team against some team playing 4 man and they're going to abuse the hell out of the middle and make your pitcher uncomfortable in a hurry.

I also agree with teams thinking they have to run a 5 man, but doing it poorly. If your middle infielder doesn't know where to play it can kill you. Or if your outfielders aren't fast enough to cover the extra ground.

The concept of a 5-man infield was to deter the offense from shooting the middle. After all, that is the largest gap in the infield And when I say "good team", I'm referring to a team that plays the whole game, not just those who believe hitting the ball as hard as possible is the only manner in which to bat. I've seen some good teams just pick apart a 5 man infield simply by just dinking in over the infielders until the OF sneak in and then going with the power and hitting the gaps in the outfield.

IOW, (and IMO) the 5-man infield is strictly a mind game that works against teams with a limited offensive abilities.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Got to disagee with you big time on this! There are fewer things more frustrating than watching a lack of speed in the outfield turning outs into base hits or, even worse, gappers. If you think that proper positioning will always make up for a lack of speed, you're just lying to yourself.

On offense, who the hell wants a hitter leading off the game who's going to need 3 hits to get in?

I don't hate that guy. I envy that guy!!!

When I think of all of the money I would've saved if I was that guy, I quietly cry to myself...........:(
I can certainly see your point and why you'd believe that. Let me clarify that I don't think an outfielder needs to be the fastest guy to play an above average outfield.

I played with 3 guys yesterday that were faster than most guys in the park and due to terrible angles and reads of balls they played some below average softball outfield. Factor in the times the didn't hit cut offs or keep force plays then you can understand why I'd take a average speed guy who knows how to play outfield vs just fast outfielders

The hitting aspect is nearly the same. Again, not saying a 300 lb slob into the lead off spot but if I have the option of a 200lb plus guy who hits .650-700 or better and will get to second when he is supposed to ( as in routine double and not pushing the issue and not going base to base ) every tournament then in my mind that trumps the fast guy who might hit .500-600 and will stretch the occasionally double into a triple

jhitman

The senior league I umpire mandated that all pitchers must wear masks too. I don't have a problem with it from an umping standpoint. I've seen enough injuries in that league. You have guys who have no bat control hitting hard balls with hot bats.... at guys who have severely diminished reaction time.

Also, this isn't a competitive senior league.

Our 55+ league is pretty competitive, but I think it should be a choice. It is for safety so I do understand the thought process behind it. I play OF so it doesn't impact me. Most of our pitchers already wear shin guards.

WarHorse

Star Player
When everyone says "you don't need to swing a heavy bat swing lighter it's all about bat speed!"

Even funnier when they're batting last and usually a guaranteed out but you keep them on the team for the crazy shtuff they say.