College Football 2012 Thread

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not sure how much of a choke job that was. When your front 7 is very banged up against a power running team, it kinda plays into their hand.

But the offense did struggle. Let's not kid ourselves, Stanford plays legit defense. Not to mention the phantom TD.

Personally, I thought it was a TD live, and was all :confused: when the ref with the worst view, not in position to make that call, came running in to say the ball hit the ground, when the ref that was in position, looking straight at the play was like wtf, you making that call before I can make the call and before the play is over.

Now, what was phantom call was the late pass interference call on 3rd down against Stanford:eek:

jobro31

<font color="#CD0000">Bleeding Crimson</font>
Personally, I thought it was a TD live, and was all :confused: when the ref with the worst view, not in position to make that call, came running in to say the ball hit the ground, when the ref that was in position, looking straight at the play was like wtf, you making that call before I can make the call and before the play is over.

Now, what was phantom call was the late pass interference call on 3rd down against Stanford:eek:

Yeah I didn't get that ref making that call.

What's up with homers calling out homers? There's no denying ND has had a tough road deserving of NCG birth.

Also no one has seemed to mention how badly Oregon screwed themselves. Without a UCLA win this week their out of pac12 CG and at very least rose bowl. Irony that they must root for USC and ucla this week?

justinstp

PayPal Ready
At first, I was like, this dude's joking and this is gonna probably be funny. Then, I kept watching, and realized that they're probably dead serious. Definitely lulz

Hookem74

Addicted to Softballfans

agree he barely touched him!

chazerous

I dont think the controversy was so much over wether or not the ball touched the ground, but rather which shoulder touched first. The one in bounds, or the one out of bounds. The receivers body was on top of the defenders so if the shoulder touched out of bounds first then the TD is no good. << Which is my homer stance, controversial call.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I'm not sure how much of a choke job that was. When your front 7 is very banged up against a power running team, it kinda plays into their hand.

But the offense did struggle. Let's not kid ourselves, Stanford plays legit defense. Not to mention the phantom TD.

Yeah but that had nothing to do with an offense that was scoring 50 points a game all of a sudden putting up 14 points. I don't think most people would say giving up 17 points to Stanford in OT is a terrible performance. The only scoring 14 part hurt though. That also had a lot to do with a kicker missing two FG's. Granted, Stanford's kicker missed one too, but that really doesn't help your argument. If your kicker makes a 41 yard FG the Ducks are still #1.

I do like how losing to the #13 team (in OT) drops you to #6 but Bama losing to the #15 team in regulation only drops them to #4. Not a lick of SEC bias there. Of course, for ESPN to get their $15 billion worth, they have to stack the top 5 with SEC teams so it's virtually impossible now not to have an SEC team in the Championship.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Sorry, #5 not #6 but still a huge difference. You know at least one of the Top 5 is guaranteed to lose. Put them ahead of Florida, and Oregon can still get in with a ND loss to USC. As it is now, it would be set up for an all-sec championship (although I'm willing to bet Oregon leaps Florida anyway).

Does the BCS really want what is pretty much recognized as the third best team in the Conference to play in the NC game? Nope. It would kill ratings and this years game would get worse ratings than last year. Some of the glamour has been taken off Bama with the loss, and Florida didn't even win their own division. They can't use the excuse like Bama that they play in the same division. I really think Florida is a non-factor, and regardless of their SoS (which is entirely based on half the SEC being ranked in the Top 10 btw), they've played like crap for the last month. Georgia losing to Bama in the SEC game hurts Florida more than it helps them anyway. You lost to the team that lost to Bama. Not playing Bama straight up works against them for the NC game. It will help make sure they get a BCS game though. Losing the division will make keep them out of the NC game, but will get them the BCS spot over Georgia ironically enough.

j.bishop

Nothing to see here
Florida should lose to FSU this weekend so they shouldn't matter, Oregon really just needs to root for USC to beat ND (I don't see that happening w/ a freshman Qb but crazier things have happened) and they should make it to the nc game against the winner of UGA/Bama. That is ofcourse if they beat Ore. St.

bullet29

Addicted to Softballfans
Even if ND does lose and the Gators beat FSU, Florida will not sniff the BCSCG this year. The media will make sure there is a magic drop in the last week of the polls to keep the SEC from having two teams in the final again. For those clamoring for Oregon, why should they go if they don't win their own division?

JTtampabay

Addicted to Softballfans
Even if ND does lose and the Gators beat FSU, Florida will not sniff the BCSCG this year. The media will make sure there is a magic drop in the last week of the polls to keep the SEC from having two teams in the final again. For those clamoring for Oregon, why should they go if they don't win their own division?

I agree , you should have to win your division first

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah but that had nothing to do with an offense that was scoring 50 points a game all of a sudden putting up 14 points. I don't think most people would say giving up 17 points to Stanford in OT is a terrible performance. The only scoring 14 part hurt though. That also had a lot to do with a kicker missing two FG's. Granted, Stanford's kicker missed one too, but that really doesn't help your argument. If your kicker makes a 41 yard FG the Ducks are still #1.

I do like how losing to the #13 team (in OT) drops you to #6 but Bama losing to the #15 team in regulation only drops them to #4. Not a lick of SEC bias there. Of course, for ESPN to get their $15 billion worth, they have to stack the top 5 with SEC teams so it's virtually impossible now not to have an SEC team in the Championship.

Strength of schedule, and timing of loss has something to do with it. Oregon has not beat a currently ranked team. Alabama has beat 3 currently ranked teams. I personally thought Bama should have dropped to 5th, 1 spot behing UGA, but it will be a wash if Bama and UGA play each other in the SECCG.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Sorry, #5 not #6 but still a huge difference. You know at least one of the Top 5 is guaranteed to lose. Put them ahead of Florida, and Oregon can still get in with a ND loss to USC. As it is now, it would be set up for an all-sec championship (although I'm willing to bet Oregon leaps Florida anyway).

Does the BCS really want what is pretty much recognized as the third best team in the Conference to play in the NC game? Nope. It would kill ratings and this years game would get worse ratings than last year. Some of the glamour has been taken off Bama with the loss, and Florida didn't even win their own division. They can't use the excuse like Bama that they play in the same division. I really think Florida is a non-factor, and regardless of their SoS (which is entirely based on half the SEC being ranked in the Top 10 btw), they've played like crap for the last month. Georgia losing to Bama in the SEC game hurts Florida more than it helps them anyway. You lost to the team that lost to Bama. Not playing Bama straight up works against them for the NC game. It will help make sure they get a BCS game though. Losing the division will make keep them out of the NC game, but will get them the BCS spot over Georgia ironically enough.

Doubtful that will happen. Did anyone hapopen to see ESPN this morning, reported that BCSNCG ticket prices have increased 25% since Sunday, after taking a drop when Bama lost and it looked like K State and Oregon were gonna be the 2 in the game. Money drives CFB and the BCS, and there will be no bigger money draw for the BCS than ND vs Bama. Gonna watch for some questionable calls this week and Bama vs UGA game

MDUmp

Addicted to Softballfans
Doubtful that will happen. Did anyone hapopen to see ESPN this morning, reported that BCSNCG ticket prices have increased 25% since Sunday, after taking a drop when Bama lost and it looked like K State and Oregon were gonna be the 2 in the game. Money drives CFB and the BCS, and there will be no bigger money draw for the BCS than ND vs Bama. Gonna watch for some questionable calls this week and Bama vs UGA game

You think the SEC would protect their teams??? NOOOOO!!! Say it ain't so!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4583062

It is still BS!!!!

chazerous

Strength of schedule, and timing of loss has something to do with it. Oregon has not beat a currently ranked team. Alabama has beat 3 currently ranked teams. I personally thought Bama should have dropped to 5th, 1 spot behing UGA, but it will be a wash if Bama and UGA play each other in the SECCG.

Actually both Arizona, and Washington are in the rankings right now, and USC has just fallen out for the first time this year.

bullet29

Addicted to Softballfans

Sorry but I really don't see your point on this one. With the SEC all but guaranteed a spot between Bama and UGA why would there be a need for bogus officiating? The SEC will get their slice of the pie no matter if Bama or Georgia wins the game.

You mention ticket prices - but that is all after-market, it affects the wallets of scalpers rather than the universities themselves. With Georgia last playing for a national championship in 1982, you're kidding yourself if you think there won't be a huge demand on the Georgia side.

The TV ratings won't be affected much either way. When looked at through a national perspective, ND would be the main draw of the current top three. An argument could be made that with Bama being in the BCSCG so much lately, a new face in the game might draw more interest.

balcoballer

I REPORT POSTS
well ok then

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121121/SPORTS/121129944

In his first week as “the guy” for the Trojans in wake of senior Matt Barkley's shoulder injury last Saturday against UCLA, the redshirt freshman spoke on Tuesday very confidently of his team's chances of knocking off the No. 1-ranked Fighting Irish (Saturday at 8 p.m., ABC).

"I'm going to go out there," Wittek said in an interview with a Los Angeles radio station, "I'm going to play within myself, within the system, and we're going to win this ballgame."

ancientways.sbc

Addicted to Softballfans
USC QBs are always ****y. But dont sleep on him just becasue hes a redshirt freshman. As much as I hate to say it USC has a history of great QBs, and I have to root for them on saturday, along with UCLA and FSU.

I know right? What's he supposed to say, " we're going to get smashed"

johnboy74

Addicted to Softballfans

Arizona and Washington are all. The differnece is the Pac-12 doesn't get to keep teams in the top-25 with 4 losses.

j.bishop

Nothing to see here
Arizona and Washington are all. The differnece is the Pac-12 doesn't get to keep teams in the top-25 with 4 losses.

That's funny because Arizona and Washington both have 4 losses, in fact they are the only 2 teams in the top 25 BCS rankings that have more than 3 losses. Nice try though