I'm starting to wonder about Monsta customer service

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Or he sent it in and they reweighted it like they did for Sully. If Monsta ever starts to take a real piece of the pie, I have a feeling that the big boys will fund some undercover work that will get his only association cert pulled. He's already burned the UTrip bridge.

Curiosity now. Why wouldn't the 28 pass when 26-27 will?

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Or he sent it in and they reweighted it like they did for Sully. If Monsta ever starts to take a real piece of the pie, I have a feeling that the big boys will fund some undercover work that will get his only association cert pulled. He's already burned the UTrip bridge.

Since he allows this it can easily be done right, how would they know if it is marked 27 and weighs 28 1/2, unless they weighed every bat when they compression test at sanctions, otherwise monsta will continue to get away with this, I ve said it before, he will never get my money, I will never touch one and give him the support that the bat deserves, they are hot for some and he has some good ballers, but my hope the company as a whole gets bought out and Carl is banned from every aspect of the sport, it is douches like him with his influence and monstards that are making this sport ****ty

HarryL Southpaw

Addicted to Softballfans
Good bats horrible leadership by owner.

Spot on.

I bought a Bomb with warranty in mid January and received it in early March. I guess I was lucky since others waited almost 10 months maybe longer. Their customer service is pretty poor. Secondary market from here on out. Amazing bats though.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I stand by what I say about Monstas. The day I have to resort to using some purported "wonderbat" like that to be effective in ASA is the day I hang 'em up. The company reeks of sleaze and I won't ever support them.

So sell me your Demarini or whatever "wonder" bats to me cheap.

Better yet, I have a 30oz Hammer I was going to saw down for a light bat-drill bat, but you could put it to better use. Trade you straight up. :rolleyes:

:bsflag:

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
DNA is supposed to be 96.1 mph off the bat, or something similar. The new Torch and Bombadier are supposedly 96.5 or close to that. The two new bats are not made heavier than 27 oz, and are midload only. DNA goes up to 30 oz, and can be midload or EL. The two new bats also are supposed to FAIL compression around 800 hits, and DNA will never fail compression. Why anyone would limit themselves to the two new bats just for a potential 5-10 more feet of distance makes no sense to me. Ive seen people post that their DNAs have upwards of 10k-15k hits on them, but a Bomb or Torch is unusable after 800 or so. Tough choice.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, said, and I agree. Softball is being ruined by this crap. Companies that look for every conceivable loophole to produce bats that exceed testing standards. Crappy customer service and drama.

Only being able to make ASA bats will end up limiting them though. I know around here some of the leagues only allow ASA bats, but all the tourny ball is USSSA or NSA. I think eventually ASA will wise up and tell this company to take a hike.

Seems like assumption being made here. Could be that the player misstated the weights. If he's giving the Monsta team 28's that are stickered 27, then make an anonymous tip, and the truth will come out.

If it's truly happening, I agree, it's as bad as shaving and rolling, or using a spiraled post-2013 bat, or a failed-compression pre-2013 bat, etc.. the list goes on and on.

Saw a recent SBF selling post recently for an L1 that had ASA stamp. Gone within a few hours, and none of the moral police got on that thread to bash the buyer. Think that guy bought it swing in ASA? It's a good Utrip, but not a top tier bat for the price that it went for.

Think most league umps would have spotted the 100 mph standard on the barrel? It's not on the ASA nonapproved list.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
DNA is supposed to be 96.1 mph off the bat, or something similar. The new Torch and Bombadier are supposedly 96.5 or close to that. The two new bats are not made heavier than 27 oz, and are midload only. DNA goes up to 30 oz, and can be midload or EL. The two new bats also are supposed to FAIL compression around 800 hits, and DNA will never fail compression. Why anyone would limit themselves to the two new bats just for a potential 5-10 more feet of distance makes no sense to me. Ive seen people post that their DNAs have upwards of 10k-15k hits on them, but a Bomb or Torch is unusable after 800 or so. Tough choice.

This is curious to me. Why isn't the DNA for sale anymore? Is it just b/c Carl pissed off ASA? If the bat never fails compression and never exceeds the 98 mph standard, who wouldn't want that bat? Would put a serious dent in the big boys' sales once word got out.

I smell bat company conspiracy. :pokey:

warningtrack24

Extra Hitter
Well, said, and I agree. Softball is being ruined by this crap. Companies that look for every conceivable loophole to produce bats that exceed testing standards. Crappy customer service and drama.

Only being able to make ASA bats will end up limiting them though. I know around here some of the leagues only allow ASA bats, but all the tourny ball is USSSA or NSA. I think eventually ASA will wise up and tell this company to take a hike.

I think you're putting too much stock in a story that you don't know to be true or false. Monsta's 2016 lineup has been the most scrutinized bat this year, but yet ASA still hung a cert on it. Is it plausible that 27 oz are running heavy? sure. But we've seen Demarini bats a whole ounce off of their labeled weight.

Its a softball bat, ASA certified it, and if a half ounce or 1 oz difference really makes you think the ball is gonna ensure 50 more feet, id like to disagree. Now if there are bats pulled from play and they are 30 oz and 29 oz, id agree with you.

I think everyone here would agree that if some guy swinging a heavy running 28oz USA aftermath, we are not going to wave our arms at the umpire and have him pull the bat.

That being said, if its a planned ordeal where they are clearly manufacturing a bunch of 28's, 29's, 30's, there is no place for that.

warningtrack24

Extra Hitter

The way i look at it. Im going to buy one, maybe 2 bats to be used in games every year. Once i have a gamer, i only swing it maybe 75-150 times the rest of the year. So why should i care if it lasts 800 swings. Im going to sell it next year because some bat company is popping out a new bat that everyone is going wild for. The only person that should be concerned is the dude buying it second hand.

If you're a guy that keeps a bat for 10 years, probably better not buy the Torch or Bomb. At least Monsta decided to tell everyone that upfront.

Last edited:

matt6195

Manager
Someone asked one of their tourney players what they were swinging last weekend. The player said a mix of 27 and 28 Bombadiers. Monsta DOESNT make an ASA sanctioned 28 oz Bombadier, because it wont pass certification. I asked about this 28 Bombadier, and Carl himself replied and said they dont make a 28 oz bat, and said the player didnt know what he was talking about. SO basically he said his player is too stupid to see that the 28 oz bat he was swinging was actually only a 27, since the 28 would be an illegal bat. :thumb:

Some of the guys were using 28oz Torchs.

Since he allows this it can easily be done right, how would they know if it is marked 27 and weighs 28 1/2, unless they weighed every bat when they compression test at sanctions, otherwise monsta will continue to get away with this, I ve said it before, he will never get my money, I will never touch one and give him the support that the bat deserves, they are hot for some and he has some good ballers, but my hope the company as a whole gets bought out and Carl is banned from every aspect of the sport, it is douches like him with his influence and monstards that are making this sport ****ty

Actually on the new bats reweights can't be done.

Yes the Torch does comei in 28oz.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
This is curious to me. Why isn't the DNA for sale anymore? Is it just b/c Carl pissed off ASA? If the bat never fails compression and never exceeds the 98 mph standard, who wouldn't want that bat? Would put a serious dent in the big boys' sales once word got out.

I smell bat company conspiracy. :pokey:

The bat companies don't give a **** that this guy sells 500 bats a year out of his garage man... I've read many of your comments and you are reaching a bit with this now. Using preorder money to pay for your bats to be constructed should tell you all you need to know about the subject

warningtrack24

Extra Hitter
The bat companies don't give a **** that this guy sells 500 bats a year out of his garage man... I've read many of your comments and you are reaching a bit with this now. Using preorder money to pay for your bats to be constructed should tell you all you need to know about the subject

I pre ordered my golf driver and it every bit out performs any long driver the big companies manufacture.

Sometimes, a small company may offer you a better product even though the process isn't aligning with how big companies.

You don't sound too informed being you started with incorrect information like how many bats he really produces/sells and the location of said operation. Like i said in a previous post, if you don't want to do business that way, don't. If you have an open mind and are willing to give a guy a chance to build you a fine bat for the price, do it.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I think they already are. The DNA didn't have the problems with certification. Two years ago there were like one or two guys in my local league that had Monsta bats. Now there are several teams with at least one, some with more. That may or may not have something to do with their cert taking so long. Anyone that thinks he's selling 500 bats, doesn't do math good. He sells whatever he can produce. Not sure if he doesn't have the funding or the Chinese factory can't keep up with the demand, but if he could it would be a different ballgame in ASA.

People did this with Demarinis. Hell, most of the bats they produced for about a two year period cracked. How many "Is this a paint crack or a real crack" threads were there? Basically, they were asking how deep into the composite does this crack go? Should you be able to play with a bat you have to tape together to try to delay the bat breaking completely? But at the time Demarini's were the hottest bat around and a lot of people had them and even bought them with cracks in them.

As hot as the DNA was, I don't remember a lot of "DNA failed compression out of the wrapper" or "DNA fails after 500 swings" threads. For the most part they passed. I do remember seeing those for Demarini and especially Miken. People still bought those even though they knew it might be good for only 500 swings. Softball players egos demand the hottest bat. 5 or 10 feet might mean 5 more bat flipping home runs a year. Most serious softball players (ones playing multiple leagues or traveling for tournaments) buy several bats a year.

Now if you're asking why buy a Torch when you have a DNA? DNA was limited quantities so not everyone has one. People have to try the latest and greatest because like the Torch, it might be .5 MPH faster than the DNA.

I'm not backing any of his tactics, but people who say his bats suck or aren't top performing bats either haven't swung them or have personal butthurt from dealing with his attitude. Not blaming people for hating the guy and hoping he crashes and burns.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
So why were they limited? Would seem to me to be a sure-fire signature bat, then you could play around with the other models to get closer to the 98 mph threshold

skew12

So why were they limited? Would seem to me to be a sure-fire signature bat, then you could play around with the other models to get closer to the 98 mph threshold

Probably for the same reasons Demarini limited the RD28 and they stopped making the J3a's. They could reissue them every year. However, softball is just like golf. Everyone wants/has to have the latest and greatest equipment even though they're all basically the damn same. It drives demand and new sales.

TRaj2327

Keep slurpin', slurpers.

The guy is king douche of douches. Give someone else your money. I'd bet many of the people swinging a monsta wouldn't know a good bat even if it hit them in the face.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
Not everybody chases bats year after year. Month after month. I never own more than two bats at a time. I'd rather buy a $200-$300 glove I'll own for 10 years unless I trade it a away. The glove won't break in half or get banned. I was swigging a 98freak, and a z2000 still until the z2000 blew up. If I'm in the market for a new bat I'll do my research, ask around, and check on here. Clearly the DNA is "one" of the hottest Asa bats. I was intrigued because I never owned a monsta bat, but after reading how he treats his customers ... I'd have a hard time giving him my money directly. I bought one secondhand to find out fact or fiction.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
"Monsta are made for guys who can't deal with the .52 300 and need a bat of questionable legality to get any results with them"

I thought this was funny?! Yeah nobody playing softball changed bats for that .52 300 ball.

I think we have established there are some customer service issues, and questionable business practices, but do the bats perform, and have durability? That's the million dollar question.

Last edited:

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Not everybody chases bats year after year. Month after month. I never own more than two bats at a time. I'd rather buy a $200-$300 glove I'll own for 10 years unless I trade it a away. The glove won't break in half or get banned. I was swigging a 98freak, and a z2000 still until the z2000 blew up. If I'm in the market for a new bat I'll do my research, ask around, and check on here. Clearly the DNA is "one" of the hottest Asa bats. I was intrigued because I never owned a monsta bat, but after reading how he treats his customers ... I'd have a hard time giving him my money directly. I bought one secondhand to find out fact or fiction.
!

Wow, something worth reading in this post

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
No one was told that the Bomb and Torch would fail compression after 800 swings, not up front anyways. Buyers were told to EMAIL sales and say they understood the bats would fail, or they could ask for a refund.

warningtrack24

Extra Hitter
Bat performance is a big deal. I ran with a z3000 for a year but the minute i and the rest of our team used that USA aftermath, we all knew we had to get one. It was really night and day difference, and i believe our team was successful last year because of that bat. I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you close your mind off and leave good bats on the shelves no matter who the manufacturer is. Some of the guys in this thread obviously feel they can use a wet noodle and still be successful, so good for them.

JKMBONES- The DNA is a tank. I really don't think durability is an issue. The problem i saw with the bat was it was not forgiving at all for an average player. The bat's distance was unreal, but if you are a player that can't hit it on the button every time, it may be frustrating for you.

The Torch however i think is going to be exactly what is described. A hot bat you wont be able to retire with. I hit really well with it a couple weeks ago and i am completely okay with it breaking after 2000 swings. Why care how big a gas tank is if you are driving across town?

warningtrack24

Extra Hitter
No one was told that the Bomb and Torch would fail compression after 800 swings, not up front anyways. Buyers were told to EMAIL sales and say they understood the bats would fail, or they could ask for a refund.

You are correct. At the preorder period, there was not a mention of it. That email was required before shipping.

However, at the state tournament last year, there was easily 45 bats that failed compression at registration not named MONSTA. We cant pretend this is an oddity.

pears

Addicted to Softballfans
You are correct. At the preorder period, there was not a mention of it. That email was required before shipping.

However, at the state tournament last year, there was easily 45 bats that failed compression at registration not named MONSTA. We cant pretend this is an oddity.

One of the main reasons Im giving Monsta a go this year. I have been a Demarini user for the last few years and have had every one of their asa bats in my bag at one point or another( in exception of the J3a) but end up selling them at my seasons end in fear of them not passing the next season.

Someone saying that the " slurpers can keep slurpin" is a pretty douche move also, IMO. To each his own I guess.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
No one was told that the Bomb and Torch would fail compression after 800 swings, not up front anyways.

Miken/Worth never told anyone that pretty much all the bats they've made in the last 4 years would fail compression early. And no one is flaming them. On the contrary, Legits, DC41's, Freak Blacks, etc. are some of the most sought after bats on the market.

Let's face it, top-end performance and quick break-in are the most important considerations for most buyers. Durability and customer service have taken a back seat.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Monsta can eat a ****. You want to support em, get what you get but nobody really gives a **** to hear when they screw you as it is not a surprise. But if you like being **** upon, have at it. Some people are into that kind of stuff. I won't judge, but I still don't want you to tell me about it.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Miken/Worth never told anyone that pretty much all the bats they've made in the last 4 years would fail compression early. And no one is flaming them. On the contrary, Legits, DC41's, Freak Blacks, etc. are some of the most sought after bats on the market.

Let's face it, top-end performance and quick break-in are the most important considerations for most buyers. Durability and customer service have taken a back seat.

^^this^^. Neither did Demarini, and their bats are no different. They can afford to allow returns on the relatively low number of players who use their bat to the point that it spirals, then BP it with rocks until it cracks in two to get their warranty returns. Yeah, high-class moral guys when you buy the bat at a clearance price, then underhandedly get 2 returns on it.

Spare me the moral mantras of dealing with a d-bag.