New stamp coming? What does this mean?

Redsfan

I've only bought 1 bat since I started playing again 2 1/2 years ago. I see both of what you guys are talking about at league every week. Some have no bats but some people show up to games with a bat bag full of bats that are probably worth more than the POS car that they drove there.

Theseaduck

The Veteran
I believe there is more empasis on bats and buying the new fresh model that hits hrs in softball then there will ever be in hardball....
even if u buy a used This years model from joe blow, somebody bought it new....
all I'm saying is why change the stamp again? what is it proving? for u to go buy the new equipment...it's not for any other reason...
ok country 2 maybe alot but guys buy one every year....
I don't know what backwoods your living in but in middle class America there are more guys with A (recent years)bat then guys with no bat looking to just drink beers...

Theseaduck

The Veteran
its great informative info.....but rejoice? nah " to keep the integrity of the game for participants and manufacturers"

horse****, anyone got a shovel......spend more money, we want more money...reach deeper into pockets.....only a matter of time before it trickles down to league and all your S*** becomes worthless.....
another 3-5 years theyll do it again

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are some simple points that people don't seem to get.

It's only a moneygrab if you go out and buy a ton of 220 bats over the next two years. If you buy bats that you know won't last or be legal, that's on you. I'm buying less because of this.

You guys saying the average player has five bats are just wrong. If you play in the upper league then recognize that the lower league is different. We played a team in spring that we loaned bats to! This is in the mid level league in Cincinnati. Even in tournaments the average is less than one current bat per player. Agree or not it's true. This board is a small percentage of the population and not indicative of the whole at all.

Stop playing utrip if it makes you so mad. That's right, you won't because people still think the bats are hotter in utrip and that's literally all you care about.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
its great informative info.....but rejoice? nah " to keep the integrity of the game for participants and manufacturers"

Maybe if they would've raised the compression pass/fail to 275 or higher. But 240? That's not gonna make any practical difference, the new new stamp bats will be 97% as hot as current bats.

Here are some simple points that purple don't seem to get.

It's only a moneygrab if you go out and buy a ton of 220 bats over the next two years. If you but bats that you know won't last or be legal, that's on you. I'm buying less because of this.

This. I'm dumping all my bats but maybe 2-3 and not buying another new one until after November 2021. The only people who are upset are guys with a bunch of NIW bats hoarded in their basements.

Theseaduck

The Veteran
I don't know who "purple" maybe he meant people ...
but my rant is not solely about bats alone..... I'm ticked because Sh** flows down hill and it will come to every small town league Also....
#2 "integrity of the game"
what was wrong with the integrity before? and before the thumbprint?
how about how long has the thumbprint been in use ? ( I don't know the answer) so you mean to tell me for all these years the integrity has been crap?

it's not just about bats it about don't like people being able to do or change what they want anytime they wish...

joker country and any other who says "don't play then" is just another follower with no morals and never stands and fights for anything in life....shame on you

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe if they would've raised the compression pass/fail to 275 or higher. But 240? That's not gonna make any practical difference, the new new stamp bats will be 97% as hot as current bats.

This. I'm dumping all my bats but maybe 2-3 and not buying another new one until after November 2021. The only people who are upset are guys with a bunch of NIW bats hoarded in their basements.

I'll buy one new one in 2021 of I'm still playing to see what they're about, but otherwise I'm just swinging what i have till it breaks. I have a Kirby that will definitely pass even if i swing burning else the rest of the way lol.

I have a combat avarice that tested last at 265 that i could still hit the ball out with. I Agree 240 is minimal, but it will stop bats from coming out of the wrapper at 240 for awhile at least.

I don't know who "purple" maybe he meant people ...
but my rant is not solely about bats alone..... I'm ticked because Sh** flows down hill and it will come to every small town league Also....
how about how long has the thumbprint been in use ? ( I don't know the answer) so you mean to tell me for all these years the integrity has been crap?

it's not just about bats it about don't like people being able to do or change what they want anytime they wish...

joker country and any other who says "don't play then" is just another follower with no morals and never stands and fights for anything in life....shame on you

You don't play on the weekend of you don't believe the integrity of the game was a question. It's currently a joke. Watch a conference game, when they're out of homeruns they're half swinging or swinging straight down. Watch the e world streams and see if there are any e players there.

I vote with my wallet. We are a capitalist society after all. Anything else is pointless, they don't see anything but dollar signs.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Btw, it was worse before the thumbprint. Everything was rolled to death or shaved. The sad thing is they're doing now what they did then with stock bats. Bats are coming out of the wrapper at 240-250. That's probably what those old bats rolled to half the time.

Hiltz

Built for comfort

Technology and testing change, and standards have to change too. Thumbprint came out in 2012, but bats from then don't compare to today's bats. Manufacturers find ways to improve bat performance and still scrape their products past the current standard, so standards need to adapt. But going from 220 to 240 is a joke, it isn't enough.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Technology and testing change, and standards have to change too. Thumbprint came out in 2012, but bats from then don't compare to today's bats. Manufacturers find ways to improve bat performance and still scrape their products past the current standard, so standards need to adapt. But going from 220 to 240 is a joke, it isn't enough.
They can't do any more though. Their entire business model has been about mocking asa since the ultras came out.

Seriously, if people aren't old enough to remember I'll tellyou, nobody thought this pump faking bs was the highest level of softball until after 2004. It was the sandbagging clown college of softball. The players sold that bull**** as soon as utrip allowed hotter bats.

They can share whatever revisionist history they want, but that association has always been driven by the people that don't care about the integrity of the game. They can't make meaningful decisions now because their market share will plummet. Who would pay for their new complex that everyone would love to abandon immediately?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I agree with this. 240 isn't a high enough compression number to make a difference. 275 would have been better. I own a bunch of old Eastons that still test above 275. They hit well enough.

Also, I wonder if USSSA is going to make the Pro M the standard ball once they make the bat compression change. Seems counterintuitive to bring out a hotter ball as you (slightly) raise the minimum bat compression number. One thing I will say, those Pro Ms are absolute rockets.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with this. 240 isn't a high enough compression number to make a difference. 275 would have been better. I own a bunch of old Eastons that still test above 275. They hit well enough.

Also, I wonder if USSSA is going to make the Pro M the standard ball once they make the bat compression change. Seems counterintuitive to bring out a hotter ball as you (slightly) raise the minimum bat compression number. One thing I will say, those Pro Ms are absolute rockets.
They should go to the classic plus for everything below conference, and have the pro m for the stadiums, but they don't have the balls to.

Country469

if they wanted to have any real balls they'd make softball wood bat only, unlimited home runs, and any ball you wanna use for fields over 280

but nah, we play hitting derby instead

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would love to be able to pitch with just a cup and a mouth guard again.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm too busy imagining people having to swing hard to get the ball out of the infield again.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
could you imagine the idea of hitting behind a runner being a thing again

That's every Thursday night in my wood bat league.

Having the bench erupt when you go 1st to 3rd is pretty cool too, almost as rewarding as turning a sweet double-play to end a rally.

But nothing beats the feeling of hitting a deep sac fly to win a game 4-3.

Country469

Man I would go back to my early days of pitching where my mouth ran 24-7 and I snapped everything off.

When I got older, and had moved up too far, that **** started to hurt getting drilled

Redsfan

Introducing strategy back into softball? Say it ain't so fellas. I'm just now getting used to selfish ball. You know, hitting solo shots, not walking, trying to throw everyone out, not running anything out, I could go on. Haha.

jstn8887

Addicted to Softballfans
With this change, I hope USSSA incorporates compression testing into their testing protocol. That way bats don't pass BPF testing but fail the on-field compression testing right away (*cough* Easton FireFlexes *cough*).

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man I would go back to my early days of pitching where my mouth ran 24-7 and I snapped everything off.

When I got older, and had moved up too far, that **** started to hurt getting drilled
I'm not a *****, and I'm still playing, but it's obvious that there isn't a reasonable soul at utrip that pitched regularly. That **** hurts and it hurts for days. You think i want to limp around work for a week so some needle **** can finally hit a ball hard? I ****ing don't.

I want to freaking free swing again. I want to see people catch a fly going back on a dead run again because they're not already on the fence.

Last edited:

Tubba

Sucks they are doing this, but on positive note it’s probably better for the sport to dumb down the bats a little, we still have 2 years before needing to buy a new bat and even after 2021 most small weekend tournaments probably won’t even care and still allow old stamp bats

D-ROCK13

The Easton Slowpitch Book of face page just reposted a usssa/gsl post, that states all thumbprint stamps, will be legal indefinitely