New stamp coming? What does this mean?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Easton Slowpitch Book of face page just reposted a usssa/gsl post, that states all thumbprint stamps, will be legal indefinitely
They keep changing it. The last thing i saw was that they're going to do like asa with the 100 mph bats. At some point, you can only make new stamp bats going forward, and the old will be legal indefinitely. Which means if they don't break or fail fast enough they'll decide to ban them down the road.

What they haven't cleared up is whether they'll get to be legal with their old compression standard or not. If They have to be over 240 then they'll be legal for 50 swings and then who gives a ****?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
USSSA makes a new bat standard and a hotter ball (Pro M). Go figure. You're basically keeping things the same as they are now.

lukeamdman

Here in MN there's only a few weeks of the year that typically get much over 80 degrees. That being the case the 44/375, although still too much, it's a fairly large downgrade from the 40/325.

Under 70 degrees that 40/325 might as well be a stadium ball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. I think the pro m is a wink wink nudge nudge 44/375 because we hit those for years in ga and it was not a golf ball. One of my buddies from there said the pro m is.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Here in MN there's only a few weeks of the year that typically get much over 80 degrees. That being the case the 44/375, although still too much, it's a fairly large downgrade from the 40/325.

Direct from the MN state USSSA Director, they will not be using the Pro M for anything. All MRPA run events will continue to use the Classic M Dudley SY. A few other tournaments will have the choice of what to use. Duk Duk, the Dudley, maybe Father Hennepin.

No one has answered what the compression has to pass at, and I would certainly think that Conference USSSA will require the new stamp in 2021. This is more for league guys, keep swinging what you got until it breaks, but don't be surprised if umpires start taking a closer look at old stamps in 2021 trying to find a reason to toss it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

There's NO WAY a .44 375 is ever a downgrade from a classic M. A classic M is a FAR worse ball. The only time classic Ms perform is when the temp is under 75.

Viera pretty much proves it. They switched from ZN classic Ms to Pro Ms. It was a night and day difference.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Exactly. I think the pro m is a wink wink nudge nudge 44/375 because we hit those for years in ga and it was not a golf ball. One of my buddies from there said the pro m is.

I'm not sure if I'd quite say that a Pro M is a golf ball, but they definitely jump. They hold up really well to heat and humidity too.

Head to head against stadium balls the Pro M isn't quite as good. Nor is it supposed to be.

lukeamdman

The only time classic Ms perform is when the temp is under 75.

Under 75? You're describing MN weather about 90% of the spring/summer/fall.

When spring season starts at the end of April, it's under 50 for many games. For fall, it snows during our last games most of the time...

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's NO WAY a .44 375 is ever a downgrade from a classic M. A classic M is a FAR worse ball. The only time classic Ms perform is when the temp is under 75.

Viera pretty much proves it. They switched from ZN classic Ms to Pro Ms. It was a night and day difference.
I don't disagree with this, but we play more games below 75 than above here I'd say. We probably won't play above 75 until April.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure if I'd quite say that a Pro M is a golf ball, but they definitely jump. They hold up really well to heat and humidity too.

Head to head against stadium balls the Pro M isn't quite as good. Nor is it supposed to be.
I have not hit one, but it makes me wonder if it's not right on the line or dual cover or something. I'm just wondering if it's not superior to 90% of the 44/375 it for some reason.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I have not hit one, but it makes me wonder if it's not right on the line or dual cover or something. I'm just wondering if it's not superior to 90% of the 44/375 it for some reason.

The Pro M is definitely not a dual cover ball. Far as I know, USSSA banned those years ago. I haven't really hit the Pro M extensively, nor against other .44 375s. Maybe when it warms up here I'll BP with some harder balls and get a better idea of exactly how good the Pro M really is compared to similar cor/compression balls.

Country469

I was told the prom is a single cover ball, that is lighter than the old 44 375 asa spec.

multi layered balls are banned because they trick the tester.

Comparing the pro m to anything else is probably going to be a waste of time really. The data is already out there. this is just an older spec.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just surprised he called it a golf ball because all we hit down there was 44/375. The classic m is more of a turd down there though.

Country469

I played in a church tourney with 44 400 balls from softball nation and they were every bit of golf ball ish imo.

The bats back in 06 weren't as hot and most people didn't get them to that point either.

If you hit an old asa ball NIW with a new bat, you'd think golf ball too.

Softball is literally getting easier as I get older. Every ****ing year

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I played in a church tourney with 44 400 balls from softball nation and they were every bit of golf ball ish imo.

The bats back in 06 weren't as hot and most people didn't get them to that point either.

True. It takes no skill to be a good hitter anymore. I'm a little surprised USSSA caved and introduced the Pro M. Hitting the ZN classic M in Viera wasn't easy, but it was at least challenging. Now you're seeing guys go yard down there who couldn't sniff the fence before.

The bats in 2006 weren't as hot as today's bats, but the balls sure as heck were. I don't think we used anything below .44 375. I probably hit the ball as far back then as I do now, largely due to the balls.

Most of the softball I play now is with classic + or .52 300s. Those balls will fly out with relative ease, but 400' shots with them are rare.

One park around here uses SYCO .44 375 WSL Gold Dots for tournies. Its silly on 300' fields. I probably see more 400' shots there than anywhere else.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't know. Everything from Florida and a lot in ga were shaved to the gills, and probably 99% of bays that weren't mine were rolled till they'd be failing by today's standards. I doubt there were many bats in play that tested anywhere near 220, but this was more like 2010. Post mv1 era.

The booger had to be near 06 though, and that was pretty damned hot with those balls.

Country469

oh I agree those bats GOT that hot. But they weren't that hot all the time, and didnt stay that hot that long.

Now guys have 4 of those fire sticks, with 15 inch barrels, 2 oz end loads. and they make 24 oz bats for ****s sake.

those options werent around back then. Can't swing over 30 now, **** back in the day swinging 30 was for sissies.

utrip let the manufacturers turn them into wiffle ball bats now.

HUGE difference in sweet spot on a booger vs that fireflex I used last year the only time I played

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
oh I agree those bats GOT that hot. But they weren't that hot all the time, and didnt stay that hot that long.

Now guys have 4 of those fire sticks, with 15 inch barrels, 2 oz end loads. and they make 24 oz bats for ****s sake.

those options werent around back then. Can't swing over 30 now, **** back in the day swinging 30 was for sissies.

utrip let the manufacturers turn them into wiffle ball bats now.

HUGE difference in sweet spot on a booger vs that fireflex I used last year the only time I played

Agree. The bats now are hotter than shaved bats were back then. Larger sweet spots too. The lightweight crap today is getting ridiculous. If USSSA wanted to fix things they should mandate a MINIMUM bat weight of 28 oz.

Last edited:

Redsfan

If USSSA wanted to fix things they should mandate a MININUM bat weight of 28 oz.

What would all the little noodle armed guys swing then? Lol. Unfortunately this is more of a society problem than just a USSSA problem. People use technology too much to try to improve themselves. Whether it's sports equipment, taking a pill or having a surgery. Always looking for the easy way to look better or perform better without working at it. It's not going to get any better either. Old man rant over. Now get off my lawn!! Lol

Edit-They will never get rid of the light bats now. They out sell the 28's and the manufacturers have too much influence on USSSA.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
What would all the little noodle armed guys swing then? Lol. Unfortunately this is more of a society problem than just a USSSA problem.

It's a perception thing. Nobody ever thought 28-30oz was heavy when there were 32-38oz bats available. Now that 30oz are as rare as hen's teeth and 26oz and below is common, people suddenly think 30oz is heavy.

I had a 30oz Easton with me in the last tournament I played in last year. Guys on my team actually overheard players from other teams whispering about how we had a 30oz bat in our dugout. "Holy crap! 30 ounces! Who's swinging that? None of them look that big, etc." I used to swing a 33/30 in baseball when I was 13...

They will never get rid of the light bats now. They out sell the 28's and the manufacturers have too much influence on USSSA.

I think manufacturers actually have MORE say about what happens in softball than USSSA does.

Country469

Both manufs, and utrip, will keep the equip legal that customers buy.

hot NIW bats, that break fast or fail, is goot biz for both bat makers and bat stamp sellers

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Y'all must've had some trash bat doctors. There were two guys in my town that made bats much hotter than today's bats, and they lasted much longer than current bats will pass compression at least.

That booger was the balanced version, and would at least be maxload today. It was also a 14" barrel.

This was before the 454s. Those were trash.

Country469

Y'all must've had some trash bat doctors. There were two guys in my town that made bats much hotter than today's bats, and they lasted much longer than current bats will pass compression at least.

That booger was the balanced version, and would at least be maxload today. It was also a 14" barrel.

This was before the 454s. Those were trash.

you ever lived in chicago? Its really cold there most of the year and those bats shaved and rolled didnt make it very long in the cold up there

Redsfan

Easton sent me something just like this the other day. What's the point to having a new standard if the old bats are good forever? Now my buddy with 30 USSSA bats looks like the smartest guy ever. Haha.

Country469

doesn't piss off current customers as much.

they're assuming they'll be so rare in play after the next 3-4 years it wont matter.

I tend to agree with them on that

D-ROCK13

I got that from them and another site as well... According to their dates the manufacturers must stop selling the old standard bats by 12/31/20, so people will be looking for them eventually since they will be "hotter".