What's wrong with this?

Jangle.Leg

Lighter the better!
What's wrong with this? New Video Added

Tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what I should do better.

Did some more hitting yesterday, tried to work on everyone's input.

Last edited by a moderator:

LuckyMatthews

#SelfProclaimedEastonGuru
You need a better camera man lol. Can't see much of the mechanics if all we see is the waist up. I will say I have never been a fan of resting the bat on the shoulders though. It doesn't make sense to drop your hands, pull them back, and then swing. Start with your hands lower but stay relaxed.

Also just curious where in WI you are. I don't know of a PIAS with a batting cage.

pxy23

Lets Go Pens!
uh, it looks like your swinging at the ball when it's down by your knees. The one up high you made a comment about, but that's usually where you'll hit it the best at. Do you hit deep flys alot?

Jangle.Leg

Lighter the better!
The PIAS in Appleton has a batting cage.
I usually hit into the gaps anywhere from center to down the right field line.
I've been slowly trying to scoop up and hit the ball at a higher point, trying to get comfortable with it.
Haha yeah the video was shot off my iphone, it looked good on my little screen so I thought it might be good enough to upload.

Thanks for the comments.

Jobu

I never do this, but...right off the top here are 3 things to work on:

You're not lining your knuckles up.
You're using that old baseball, roll-your-wrist-grip, which doesn't work for softball. We don't roll our wrists, we throw our hands.

Your back shoulder is dipped like whoa and your weight is going backwards.
Square your shoulders and drive into the ball, your weight should be going where you want the ball to go, forward.

Jobu

Here's a decent example of how it should be done.

Shoulders square.
Knuckles lined up.
Weight going forward.

Hands thrown.
Shoulders pretty square.
Weight rotating around into the ball.

Jangle.Leg

Lighter the better!
I never do this, but...right off the top here are 3 things to work on:

You're not lining your knuckles up.
You're using that old baseball, roll-your-wrist-grip, which doesn't work for softball. We don't roll our wrists, we throw our hands.

Your back shoulder is dipped like whoa and your weight is going backwards.
Square your shoulders and drive into the ball, your weight should be going where you want the ball to go, forward.

Awesome, I like how you showed where I was messing up with pictures. I never played baseball, I was always a golfer. I think my swing carried over from it, which why I probably hit the ball when it's knee high.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
I am going opposite, keep the bat on your shoulder, it will keep your hands up better and lets your hands stay relaxed.
You are gripping the bat in your palms instead of your fingers and that gives the seperation of your wrists.
Grip the bat by starting with your bottom hand at the finger tips and then roll the bat into your hands then do the same with your top hand.
That will put your wrists closer together and create a better hinge point that will allow you to snap into the ball rather than just swinging with your arms.
Try that with dry swings first to get a feel because it will be different.

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
Leg kick is a wasted motion, you are already moving forward when you start the kick.
The kick should be to coil and store energy, by starting it that late you are expending energy to lift the leg that high but you are not getting any coil or stored energy and it is causing you to lengthen the stride which is robbing you of power.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Leg kick is a wasted motion, you are already moving forward when you start the kick.
The kick should be to coil and store energy, by starting it that late you are expending energy to lift the leg that high but you are not getting any coil or stored energy and it is causing you to lengthen the stride which is robbing you of power.

Yes. If you want to use a leg kick, start your feet about shoulder width apart and bring your leg back instead of forward as you do the leg kick. This will coil you up and allow you to propel your momentum forward in a more effective manner.

For a good example of what I'm talking about watch some youtube vids of Jeff Hall. He has a very good leg kick but doesn't overstride at all.

jlayne

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's a decent example of how it should be done.

Shoulders square.
Knuckles lined up.
Weight going forward.

Hands thrown.
Shoulders pretty square.
Weight rotating around into the ball.

Great post here. I talk to my lttle league kids about the same thing. While baseball is different, I teach them about swining through the ball. I even have them practice by taking an inexpensive bat in cage and doing free swings and letting the bat go and the learn to throw the bat hard which in turn simulates bat speed. Just have to remind them to hold on later sometimes. Yikes.