Macenko Weighted Bat Drill

puddin'72

Addicted to Softballfans
I just finished my 3rd week doing this. I try to do it 3-4 times a week. If it's back to back so be it. Usually I hit more line drive HR's and I'm not a masher. First BP session since doing this I probably hit almost half the balls out in BP. Some were on a line drive, some were moon shots. If they didn't go out they were hit hard. We were hitting on a smaller field than what we normally do, but I can definitely tell a difference. For me it's the heavier bat that helps b/c I have so much endload on it. To swing it fast you have to lead with your hands. Kind of like a golf swing. I snap it more and that gives me more bat speed. Don't give up on this.

Permacatch

Relegated to 1B
When you guys do the swings, do you pull it back to the ready position as fast as possible like the site says? Or just take a normal dry swing?

erdy147

Addicted to Softballfans
When you guys do the swings, do you pull it back to the ready position as fast as possible like the site says? Or just take a normal dry swing?

Usually take a normal dry swing as hard as possible and pull it back normally and try to kill it again.

SukTNutz

Addicted to Softballfans
My season starts Sunday with a warm up Tourney tomorrow. Me and a teammate did this drill over the winter for about 12 weeks and now that I have fininshe dI am hitting the ball much better. Bat speed has helped I also worked on myt form while doing the drills. do it it works.

leadoffbatter

Addicted to Softballfans
ok i got to say...yep this is a good exercise...to help improve your bat speed...glad that i tried it...will continue to practice doing this...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Okay, I'll add something here: use the wiffle bat more and the heavy bat less.

The wiffle bat develops the fast twitch muscles you need to develop bat speed. The key is to swing the wiffle bat in such a way that you whip the bat through the zone without letting your arms force it (if that makes sense).

The first few times you swing the wiffle bat will feel awkward because your arms just want to force it through. You basically have to just use wrists.

I recommend the Junkball bat sold at SA or Dix. The regular yellow wiffleball bats suck and tend to bend in half if you snap them too hard.

leadoffbatter

Addicted to Softballfans
ok T i will start doing more of the wiffle bat...less of the heavy... i'm sure i know what you mean about the wrists...thanks for the help...

D

de Groot

Alright So this is what I am doing and tell me if it sounds right..
Light bat- 20 oz
Game Bat - 26 oz.
Heavy bat (game bat with weight) - 39 oz
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings light bat
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings light bat
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings regular bat

Permacatch

Relegated to 1B
Light bat- 20 oz
Game Bat - 26 oz.
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings light bat
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings light bat
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings regular bat

Sounds right.

I'm gonna start doing these drills before my game too. I feel that it helps me loosen up. The minute in the circle doesn't help me at all honestly, and I never feel that I get a good, powerful swing in at a game b/c I never get the muscles really going. We'll see how it goes this week.

Dustin07

Extra Hitter
Light bat- 20 oz
Game Bat - 26 oz.
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings light bat
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings light bat
10 swings heavy bat
10 swings regular bat

After a while I found this was too easy and started increasing my reps and sets on each.

10-12 warm up / stretch swings with game bat
14 swings heavy bat
16 swings light bat
14 swings heavy bat
16 swings light bat
14 swings heavy bat
16 swings light bat
14-16 swings regular bat

i've noticed my strength and speed is still getting better after a year of doing this. however, if I miss BP or cage time, my timing falls off. That seems to be JUST as important as this drill. Combing actual BP with the drill is a deadly combo. one without the other is better than nothing, but for myself, cage time without drills is better than drills without cage time. (just because of timing and quality connection).

D

de Groot

After a while I found this was too easy and started increasing my reps and sets on each.

14 swings heavy bat
16 swings light bat
14 swings heavy bat
16 swings light bat
14 swings heavy bat
16 swings light bat
14-16 swings regular bat

i've noticed my strength and speed is still getting better after a year of doing this. however, if I miss BP or cage time, my timing falls off. That seems to be JUST as important as this drill. Combing actual BP with the drill is a deadly combo. one without the other is better than nothing, but for myself, cage time without drills is better than drills without cage time. (just because of timing and quality connection).

Yea i was thinking that also, more reps maybe heavier weights also!

Dustin07

Extra Hitter
i think moving up in weight is fine as long as the person keeps it balanced with super light weight bat for quick twitch, and regular game bat. as long as you don't destroy your form. Nothing beats live cage BP though. Also, I swing in front of the sliding door in the backyard so I can see my reflection. I take some slow ones to monitor my swing style, and then quick ones when i know form is OK.

D

de Groot

yea I just did it seems pretty good! Got tired at some points but if I keep at it I'm sure I won't be. Also I bat from the left side, every other time I do it do you think I switch from right to left, so left one day, right the other?

Dustin07

Extra Hitter
if you're a switch hitter I don't see why you couldn't rotate the drill every day. they recommend doing it at least 2-3 times per week, but it's not like benching your max weight so I honestly don't see a negative to doing it more often. especially rotating sides. But your elbows/shoulder/sides may appreciate you working your way up and stretching really good inbetween reps depending on what kind of physical shape you are in. I like to stretch before, during/after a little bit.

D

de Groot

Yea I like to stretch before and after also and I and I will likely do more than 2-3 times a week since I have a lot of spare time.
Can't wait to see the results!
Thanks

dmendro

Addicted to Softballfans

14 swings heavy bat
16 swings light bat
14 swings heavy bat
16 swings light bat
14 swings heavy bat
16 swings light bat
14-16 swings regular bat

I've been modifying my approach to this drill. I do this at the batting cage. 10 swings with the light bat outside the cage. 10 swings with actual balls in the cage with the medium bat, then 10 swings outside the cage with the heavy bat. Repeat. Working well so far.

Dustin07

Extra Hitter
I've been modifying my approach to this drill. I do this at the batting cage. 10 swings with the light bat outside the cage. 10 swings with actual balls in the cage with the medium bat, then 10 swings outside the cage with the heavy bat. Repeat. Working well so far.

I think its important to do it both to be honest. Swing the light and heavy bat at a ball makes it more interesting but I noticed that it also does not stretch me as much (doens't hurt for one thing, lol).

Dry swings, not hitting anything, very very hard, seem to stretch the body more and I think it builds the true muscle memory that you really want (and strength).

so what i've done lately, is normaly dry swing weighted bat, then just to beat myself up, i have one of those little league swing away poles and I'llt ake another set of reps (or 3 sets) just like normal, but hitting the ball on the swing away. little more strength hopefully.

and still nothing replaces just good old fashioned bp at the batting cages, IMO. regular bat, regular balls, 100-200 strokes, 2-3 times per week.:cool:

Centxballer

Donkey Punch King
Any try the drill with the swing chute? Wondering how that would help since you are not mentaly slowing down the follow through so you dont hurt your elbows

Dustin07

Extra Hitter
looks interesting, I like the idea, but I also kind of think that extra weight on the bat pulling your body through an entire twist is a big part of why Macenkos drill helps you. using the shoot would be similar to hitting a ball in the cages with a weighted bat I think.

still looks like it could be better than nothign though. only $25. give it a try.

Centxballer

Donkey Punch King
Yea that was my thought since swining at nothing does cause some soreness....lol going to get back to these once my chute arrives this week.

Dustin07

Extra Hitter
I think it's extremly important to do it during the season, but treat it like a workout... I wouldn't do it on game time unless you have the strength/endurance. I try to break down muscle fibers and wear myself out doing this routine so I come back quicker and stronger later. just like any workout.

day before, IMO, is fine. I do that.

timmy7

Addicted to Softballfans
Changing bats.

Would this program affect your bat use if u would do this program for a 28oz. bat and then switch to a 27oz. bat?

kjquerubin

Star Player
not for shot out people like me wit tendinitis..

This is a great drill for healthy people, but for me I tried it and really liked it but it killed me in the end because of the tendinitis in my elbow....

Huber

Can anyone help me out with a way to do lighter bat?

Heavier bat I plan on getting a 20oz donut but the lighter bat I don't have one to bust the end cap out of.

Dustin07

Extra Hitter
Can anyone help me out with a way to do lighter bat?

Heavier bat I plan on getting a 20oz donut but the lighter bat I don't have one to bust the end cap out of.

go to target and get a ladies bat for $17.49.

This is a great drill for healthy people, but for me I tried it and really liked it but it killed me in the end because of the tendinitis in my elbow....

stretch more, use a lighter bat, and try doing it in the cages. all of those things relieve some of the elbow stress i noticed. swinging the bat even lighter is better than not swinging at all.