Juggy > Future. True story.

Waggs

Addicted to Softballfans
On a small bat (34" long) that weighs more than the handle, the torque of the bat is going to be enough to bend the handle, even if just a little bit, which will bring the bat around faster as the bat is straightened out. Flex happens when swinging anything, from a wooden stick, to a lead pipe, due to the rotational motion of the bat and the force of the end of the bat.

The stiffer the material, the less it will flex. For people who swing quickly, this flex is minimized due to a straighter swing (the bat is never pulled, it usually remains straight). For a slower, more powerful hitter, the bat is pulled a bit until the arms are straightened out, in which case the energy stored in the flex of the bat carries the bat's momentum forward, giving the barrel of the bat a speed boost. The speed of the handle doesn't matter, it's the barrel that does. If you put a lot of strength into a swing and rely more on strength than speed, bat flex will greatly help you. If you keep a fluid motion in swing, a stiffer bat will help you.

Another way to think about it is to ignore the term flex, and think of elasticity. Some handles are a bit more elastic than others. The J3A vs AM really prove that. Some people love the J3A, some love the AM, but it's hard to find a lot of people who love them both equally. One usually works a lot better than the other. In Brads case, I'd bet he probably puts a bit more upper body muscle into his swing and gets more benefit from the elasticity of the J4's handle.

So that begs the question, Brad, when you swing do you feel like you put more of your torso into the swing?

And for all you nay sayers, I have a much harder time with the J3 than the AM due to the fact that I can feel the bats motion and I don't like it. The flex doesn't occur as noticeably as something like a golf club, but you're full of **** if you think it only occurs on "mis hits"

You better look in the mirror and take a good look at your ears. The **** has to be leaking out by now. You are way off.

TRaj2327

I find it funny when people say they can feel the flex in the bat.

So your two hands butted up against each other or even overlapped are maybe or maybe not on the same plane as the handle in your hands? Unpossible that you can feel that.

Yes, UNPOSSIBLE.

d-wreck7

Addicted to Softballfans
Holy **** brad look at what you did lol. Last I saw this thread it was two pages. Warhorse must be talking about non sense again. Flex on bats is unpossible Traj, finally got my hand on a future I'm pumped!

Cavett2ea

Droppin **** since 2K
Flex, Flex here and a Flex, Flex there. Here a Flex there a Flex. Everywhere a Flex Flex LOL. Sorry in think i got dumber reading this entire thread!:banghead::banana:

Toad_1

I can't hit
It appears that the flex of certain bat handles, regardless of material, increases performance by a max of <0.2%. Yes the handle of any bat will flex... So minimally that it will not affect overall performance. Let me know when 0.2% makes a ball travel 20" farther over a distance of an average softball field.

Cavett2ea

Droppin **** since 2K
nylon-flex.jpg

eolivares1976

LA Lawmen
I saw Scottishheat (Ian) pull the wrapper off last night and hit the ball over the fence (approx. 325 ft) on the first swing. On the 3 or 4 AB he hit one easily over 400 ft, I'd say the bat is HOT!!!!! Like they say it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Butlerd41

Starting Player
Isnt a wood(maple) bat like the one in Mike Trouts hands more flexible than a composite softball bat, and isnt the handle/taper of a wood bat the weakest part of the bat?

yank

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw Scottishheat (Ian) pull the wrapper off last night and hit the ball over the fence (approx. 325 ft) on the first swing. On the 3 or 4 AB he hit one easily over 400 ft, I'd say the bat is HOT!!!!! Like they say it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Yea and that indian could hit that far with a wiffle bat.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It ****ing is science. You can't make the statement that the elasticity of a pivot point on shaft connected to a weight does not move during motion.

Seriously did you all flunk high school physics?

i see what you're doing here and i like it. its working on most. but it wont work on me cause im half nephilim and earth physics aint ****

TRaj2327

Holy **** brad look at what you did lol. Last I saw this thread it was two pages. Warhorse must be talking about non sense again. Flex on bats is unpossible Traj, finally got my hand on a future I'm pumped!

Nice man. Good for you. BTW, the 26.5....not very endloaded. Feels a lot like the balance of the Legend.

AND IT DOESN'T FLEX!!!! :thumb:

TRaj2327

That bat has much greater pressure being applied at TWO points where as a swung bat is only seeing air resistance at the barrel and a much lower amount of energy being applied at the hands than what you see in that picture.

hooligan-flex.jpg
medusa-flex.jpg

These are both DeMarini bats btw....and both have an ultrasoft rubberlike handle. Not traditional composite like our bats are.

Last edited:

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
bats handles flex but not before contact. they flex on contact and wobble after contact. but the ball does not make contact long enough for the handle flex/reverb to have a real effect on the ball. they do not flex before contact as if the bat head needs to "catch up". thats some mumbo jumbo bull****

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
You guys are looking at this with a glass half empty mentality. I finally have a new demarini stick that I can BP with and not worry about paint cracks, shark teeth ect.

I hope the f4t4re breaks in within 300 cuts and becomes a hot tank of a bat!

bird25

34/30 Club #25
You guys are looking at this with a glass half empty mentality. I finally have a new demarini stick that I can BP with and not worry about paint cracks, shark teeth ect.

I hope the f4t4re breaks in within 300 cuts and becomes a hot tank of a bat!

This. Of course I also have a og one.:)