Search results

1. S

NSA B worlds

I hate to be the bearor of bad news, but your not eligible to be picked up. This is from pg 159 of the rulebook under Section 3: c) Super World Series additional players pick-ups must come from a current NSA Men’s Tournament Roster of the same or lower class that has not WON or RECEIVED a...
  2. S

ASA I'm thinking about becoming an umpire......

Have fun with it. Umpiring is the only profession where you are expected to be perfect when you walk out to start a game and then improve on it.
  3. S

Any This Section should be called.....

You also forgot the one that gets asked almost weekly: The runner on third tagged but the runner on first didn't. Why does the run count on this play? This is a force play. (The timing play posting with me paraphrasing it for INACCURACY) :)
  4. S

ASA pegged the on deck batter

I don't do much slow-pitch anymore but learned a long time ago to keep one close by at all times. I still do this today even in fast-pitch. There isn't a tournament that goes by where I don't thumb thru it at least 2-3 times a weekend. You can never know everything and I always want to be...
  5. S

ASA pegged the on deck batter

Even though has no bearing on the ruling above, I just wanted to share a story that this post reminds me of. Men's Class D NIT about 10 years ago. Good local team down 4-5 runs in the bottom of the 7th starts big rally and starts chipping away at the lead. HP ump has to warn the team about...
  6. S

NSA What is the penalty for a team using an illegal ball?

Games should never be held up for lack of softballs. Our officials are told that after one goes out of play to get set back up and give them 5 seconds to get a ball in the game. Then call play and the impetus is on the hitting team to get one in within another 5 seconds or a strike is called...
  7. S

ASA Gorilla Grip

Was this a summer travel ball tournament or a high school game/tournament? Curious to why you would contact the state of Wisconsin high school org and the national federation of high schools if this was a travel ball tournament incident?
  8. S

NSA What is the penalty for a team using an illegal ball?

We were told before June 1 to treat it like walking into the box with an illegal bat. Whether that is correct leads me to wonder as we are all over the place with procedures. I am going to see if I can word a proposal for tournaments that offer the option to hit-your-own that maybe can get us on...
  9. S

ASA Injury

I was just messing with you. NSA does allow courtesy runners in adult softball.
  10. S

ASA Injury

Is that true for all sanctions?........:)
  11. S

ASA Banning composite bats?

Info on the patent suit that DeMarini lost: http://www.asme.org/kb/news---articles/articles/legal-issues-for-engineers/the-national-pastime-of-patent-attorneys The last document I had seen was on the 2 softball players (who also were scientists) web site. They had interviewed Ray DeMarini...
  12. S

ASA Banning composite bats?

I think Ray DeMarini had a lot to do with this. I was still playing and umping while running the occasional tournament when DeMarini Double-Walls were not approved bats. I had always heard he sued all of the sanctioning bodies at the time who would not approve his bat to show scientific proof...
  13. S

3 games

I use it quite a bit for a couple of reasons: First - Unless you are specifically running a round-robin/flight tournament, the gripe is an undefeated team gets beat in the final and they are done. Second - it is like a double-elim bracket except for the additional round in the losers bracket...
  14. S

44/.400 ball

Not on the approved list. http://www.playnsa.com/ApprovedBall.aspx
  15. S

Middle Rule?

That is not correct. The player was told he would not get it back. I was standing right there when it happened.
  16. S

Demarini Cartel approved bat for 2012??

Guys You may want to continue to use the NSA approved list: http://www.playnsa.com/ApprovedBat.aspx Right now that bat is not on it under Cartel and if you played today, it would not be permitted regardless of what the manufacturer or their bat reps tell you. If there is a model number on...
  17. S

tourneys??? ( OHIO )

Your not going to see a lot of NSA at Berliner nor any of the other sanctions past Memorial Day. The city of Columbus Parks and Rec puts on youth events from mid May all the way to the first weekend of August. There are some scattered dates at Berliner for each sanction but not every weekend...
  18. S

tourneys??? ( OHIO )

Southern Ohio schedule posted on http://www.playnsaohio.com/tournaments.htm Call or e-mail with any questions. Mike
  19. S

NSA Question

Hit and Sit or completely running them out is stressed in our meetings. Sometimes the batter will just go and touch first themselves anyway even if it was stressed in the pre-game conference. This will get the opposite team howling if the other baserunners peel off their bags and head to the dugout.
  20. S

a few nsa clarifications??

This was why the change in wording went thru this year. The original intention of the rule when it was approved was to not have this happen, but it got muddied up thru interpretation. This was to make sure it was very clear that if that courtesy runner was on base and his/her spot came up, they...